Fasting Sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewdiabeticRo

Hi so I have been confirmed as a type 2 diabetic. I am currently on Metformin 500mg twice a day. I have also started the 800 calorie diet but I have commitments (deadline for a professional course) and can't spare more than 30mins a day for the next 3 weeks for exercise. I plan on going hard at it after the deadline.
I don't have any cravings (thank heavens) and have already lost 2kgs in the last week. However, my random and post prandial blood sugars do not go above 6 but my fasting blood sugars do not seem to come below 8, it is always in the range of 8-9 first thing in the morning. I have my first meeting with a nurse to discuss my diagnosis on the 18th of may.
I was also planning on trying intermittent fasting and was wondering if it is okay to take Metformin without meals as I was advised to take it with food.
Any advice on the fasting blood sugars and Metformin will be greatly appreciated
Thank you xx

Welcome to the forum, that is what it is here for to ask questions.
Many people find their morning /fasting blood glucose level is higher as the liver tries to be helpful and releases glucose as soon as you get up and potter about to give you energy for the hunt for breakfast an hang over form our ancestors, you might see it referred to as foot on the floor phenomenon. Sometimes the timing of taking the blood sample can make a difference so in bed before you even get up.
The reason for taking metformin with food is it can cause stomach issues in some people and taking with food, mid meal can help stop that.

Any advice on the fasting blood sugars and Metformin will be greatly appreciated
Hi, there's some information on the main Diabetes UK website which cover fasting blood glucose levels - about half way down the page, there's a diagram with the information.
What are you wanting to know about Metformin, anything specific? I initially took 2 x 500mg, and now take one x 500mg. I had a weird metallic, sweet taste in my mouth when I first took it, but don't now. Some people get bad guts as a side effect of taking it and have to get the slow release version, or a different medication if they continue to not get on with it. It works by slowing down the production of glucose in the liver which helps reduce your BG a bit. The liver works as a sort of battery and keeps your muscles etc powered up with glucose. That's probably as much as I know about it!
Let us know if that didn't answer your question, I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me can help,
Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back