Fasting Bloods

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacredHeart

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
OK, I've been told I need to go and get bloods done two weeks before my clinic appointment. I plan to ring up the clinic about this, but I'm assuming that the bloods would need to be done fasting.

My worry is what to do if you go hypo whilst you're during the time you're not supposed to eat?

Is it the hba1c they are testing? If so as it is a 3 month average my understanding is that is does not matter when you have last eaten. I have mine done on the same day as my appointment (you see the nurse first who takes blood, then hang around for a bit, then it is processed by the time you see the consultant) and they have never told me not to eat before hand.

last time I went to have bloods done (I went to the hospital cos the doctors was yoo busy to do it) someone had had a hypo which they treated. They were advised to come back next day or the day after.

Think I'd treat the hypo because the consequences of not treating can be more serious than holding out for a blood test, but that is just me personally.

If it is annual bloods then yes fasting. You need to get yourself down to the hospital or wherever you are going and tell them you are a fasting diabetic and you will be called in first. If you go hypo and need to treat it, you will have to not do it that day and try again another day. 🙂

If it is the HbA1, as Rachel has said, this is not fasting.

Thanks guys. It is my a1c, but they're testing the triglycerides, HDL, LDL, etc. I really should call them and make sure. But thanks for the advice 🙂

Thats really weird when i saw gp yesterday she gave me the form with all the relevent ticked boxes and said dont worry you dont need to fast and it is for my a1c and liver test hmmm.

Other than when I was first diagnosed I've never had to fast for a test. Although it will depend what tests they are doing (think it's some cholesterol tests you do have to fast for)so best to check with whoever requested the tests.

Every blood test I've ever had I've had to fast for.

The only reason you should need to fast is if they are doing a cholesterol test.

Thanks guys. It is my a1c, but they're testing the triglycerides, HDL, LDL, etc. I really should call them and make sure. But thanks for the advice 🙂

I'd call them, or do you have an envelope with the tests marked on it? There is a box on there which will be ticked if it is for fasting. The wisdom used to be that you needed to fast for the HDL/LDL split but in recent years this is now thought unnecessary, but this hasn't percolated through to all places as yet. So, some places still ask you to fast, some don't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back