fasting blood test

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat1953

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi i am someone who logs in everyday to read posts which often are very help full, i don't often post but i would like to know if it's normal to be asked to fast for blood test i find this quite frighting, thanks pat.

Yes Pat, it's quite common. You'll find a good few folk on here who've been asked to do that.

For my last test I was asked to fast for 14 hours.

The test was at 9am so that just meant not eating anything after 7pm the previous day.

You can drink water though (but nothing else like coffee or tea).

I understand that it is a normal requirement, but believe mine to have been a little extraordinary in terms of its length (it is usually shorter than 14 hours).

Andy 🙂

It's normal to be asked to fast for your fasting blood glucose test, and for your lipids (cholesterol and triglycerides) as well. These are tests where they don't want the effects of food interfering with the results. I'm also told to abstain from alcohol for 24 hours before a fasting test.

Your HbA1c is a non-fasting test.

I am always asked to fast 12 hrs ...so also try and get morning appointments

Hi

I recently had a hospital appointment where I needed to fast. I was told that for any diabetic who has to fast - an early appointment is always given.

thanks

thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. i phoned the doctor's now they say i don't need to fast. i'll let you know what happens my appointment is this wednesday, pat.

good luck pat xx let us know your results x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back