Fasting blood test…

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbottle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just got my form for the next blood test and its a fasting one this time - only water for 12 hours beforehand. None of the others have been… is there a reason for this?

The cholesterol tests are supposed to be more accurate from a fasting test so see if those are included, if it is just an HbA1C then it will make no difference.
You can check Mr Google for the requirement for any other tests if they have been ticked.

I generally fast for lipids, whether I am asked to or not 🙂

I always fast.
Even for an afternoon test.
Not even a black coffee!

The test is for glucose, lipid panel and kidney. So I guess it's to get a more accurate cholesterol reading (It went up quite dramatically from normal levels to high levels after 3 months of low carb, but I was more pleased that the Trig/HDL ration was very low, which is apparently a good sign and the LDL value is just an estimate.)

The GP seemed a bit confused as to why it had gone up when I told her that I don't eat much food with saturated fats, and use low fat dairy and eat fish 3 or 4 times a week. There's the odd tablespoon of double cream (In meals for two) and not much cheese... (Not really a huge fan of cheese.) Fat is generally from nuts and olive oil. I eat eggs, but the body compensates for the cholesterol ingested by reducing its own production. (Unless you have a genetic condition, which I don't believe I have as I'd have been high before the low carb diet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back