Fasting BG levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My first ever meter arrived at the weekend and I have now joined the testing fraternity.

Without boring you all with the details, from the very limited data I have so far, it seems that I'm typically around 5.3 pre-meals, around 5.8 two hours after a low carb meal, and about 6.5 to 6.8 two hours after a meal where I've allowed myself a little brown rice or wholewheat pasta. On one occasion, my level actually dropped pre- to post-lunch but I did a decent gym workout in the intervening period. All interesting stuff but no real surprises.

However, my fasting level is all over the place, varying from 4.8 to 7.8. Any ideas? I've thought about the dawn phenomenon but, if that was the answer, then why the variations? (assuming I'm doing the test correctly and that the meter is relatively accurate). I'm not snacking before going to bed.

Cliff,

My fasting levels are causing me a problem at the moment I can't get them below 8. The DN has increased my Insulin to 30 in the past week but no change yet.My post meal levels are ok though.

Chris

Chris - I'm diet/exercise control only at the moment but I guess it's a common enough problem.

I wouldn't consider 4..8- 7.8 all over the place, that range is pretty perfect, remember that meter's aren't perfect. Well done on your excellent numbers

Thanks for your reply Nikki. When you're fairly new to this whole thing, although you can look at the recommended target values, it's difficult to know what variation is normal and reasonable without input from those with more experience. Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply Nikki. When you're fairly new to this whole thing, although you can look at the recommended target values, it's difficult to know what variation is normal and reasonable without input from those with more experience. Thanks again.

hi cliff,

my levels when i was first diagnosed (10 years ago now) were starting to come down from a huge 20.8 in the mornings all the way down now to 8.6 which has been my highest reading in the 3 months. my dsn is very happy with me and my levels as they are perfect for me.

the levels you have told us here are as nikki said pretty much perfect so dont beat yourself up over them 🙂

Hi Cliff. I've been taking my fasting levels for just over a week since I managed to crowbar one out of the hands of my practice nurse. The readings started with 7.2 that day (when she showed me how to use it - she wasn't all bad, I'm a bit of a drama queen) and seem to be in the range of 6.4 - 6.9 every day since then (fluctuating up and down).

Like you, I'm still on a fact finding mission with my bg levels - I ordered more strips off the internet and hope to try and map my readings to get an idea of what is happening. Can anyone advise if there's a diabetic diary or software that we can use for this purpose?

Karina :confused:

Your numbers look pretty good. When I saw the nurse at my surgery last week and told her I got 7.7 most morning she said that was in control. If in doubt talk to your doctor or nurse and they will help set targets.

Karina - from what I can find, some meters have ports which allow to connect a cable to your meter and the other end to your pc to allow you to download your data to software provided by the meter manufacturer. I'm simply using an Excel spreadsheet which does the job fine, with different columns for date, FBG level, pre- and post-lunch levels, pre- and post-dinner levels and what foods I had at each meal.

Minster - no beating up of self going on here - as a scientist, my automatic response to anything I don't understand is to acquire knowledge and analyse the data but I confess I might be over-analysing.

Karina - from what I can find, some meters have ports which allow to connect a cable to your meter and the other end to your pc to allow you to download your data to software provided by the meter manufacturer. I'm simply using an Excel spreadsheet which does the job fine, with different columns for date, FBG level, pre- and post-lunch levels, pre- and post-dinner levels and what foods I had at each meal.

Minster - no beating up of self going on here - as a scientist, my automatic response to anything I don't understand is to acquire knowledge and analyse the data but I confess I might be over-analysing.

Bless you Cliff - I went onto the LifeScan website and called their technical team, they're sending out the usb cable free asap and there's software on their site to use with it! I might come back to you at some point (if you don't mind..) for suggestions on your spreadsheet if the LifeScan stuff doesn't tick all my boxes.

Re over analysing - I share your need to know and understand. However, in my case it can be very destructive. A previous health hiccup caused me to over analyse every aspect of my life and every little pain/niggle had me panicking that a terminal diagnosis was coming my way. In my case, a little too much information was dangerous to my mental health.. Hopefully, I'm over that now and can deal with this latest health crisis in a more positive way - I'll need all of you out there to rein me in if you seeing me approaching meltdown, please?

Karina - if you can't find any software to suit then get in touch and I'll make something up for you in Excel based on what you want to record and how you want to analyse it. I'm no Excel expert but fortunately my other half is so I have help at hand.

Karina - if you can't find any software to suit then get in touch and I'll make something up for you in Excel based on what you want to record and how you want to analyse it. I'm no Excel expert but fortunately my other half is so I have help at hand.

You're some guy Cliff - thanks, I'll let you know how I get on. 🙂🙂

Wow cliff, I'd be overjoyed at those levels! If your managing by diet and lifestyle alone congratulations - you must have some amazing self-control - keep it up! As far as the recording goes, it's important to know, but I've discovered you don't get a pig fat by weighing it, so just carry oin doing whatever you are doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back