Fasting BG level creeping up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My FBG this morning was 7.7 and i'm not sure why apart from the DP. Up until recently i had managed to get it down to low to high ish 6's but now they have suddenly started creeping up in the 7's again. I haven't really changed what i do, i had 3 squares of dark chocolate last night and then just before bedtime i had one ryvita with a tsp of peanut butter

Hi Carina,

What had you eaten before the chocolate with Ryvita and peanut butter that you ate at bedtime?

I find that my morning fasting level does vary a little but not as high as that.

However, personally I don't think that there is very much difference between your "low to high ish 6's" and the 7.7 that you recorded as long as it is a one-off reading.

My higher morning readings always seem to have some connection with what I was eating the day before - e.g. after an evening meal out at say an indian or chinese restaurant.

John

I can get a difference of 1mmol/l just by testing a different finger! 🙂

Hi Carina

If it's DP giving you the problem, you might like to try something that takes longer to be absorbed so that your liver doesn't think you're starving and need a glucose top up - maybe a slice or two of ham - something with protein that's absorbed slowly.

My morning readings are always my highest and none of the bedtime snack options have ever worked for me I'm afraid, but it might work for you as it does for others.

Exercise the day before tends to reduce my morning reading - less IR I guess - and the weight loss has caused my morning levels to trend downwards, but very very slowly.

Hope this helps.

thanks everyone. My main meal last night was wholwheat pasta with bolognaise sauce and my 2HPM reading was 7.7 which i think is good and i know that this particular meal has always given me good readings and i certainly got my exercise yesterday as i had walked 3 miles in total throughout the day (with walking to and from work and walking the dog later on) so can't think why but i will try and have some protein only Cliff if i need to eat something before bedtime - diabetes is weird !

just a thought - you say you had pasta again, but was the portion size the same?
Also didn't you say you had blue cheese last night? Just thoughts on what could push you up.

I was going through a stage of episodes like this but as soon as I started measuring portions and writing EVERYTHING down, including exercise, it soom became apparent. I have now learnt I need to steer clear of beans as more than a teaspoon spikes me.

Hope this helps Carina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back