Fasting and FBG test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A quick question if I may.

I'm having my second FBG test at 8am tomorrow. I have been asked to fast for 12 hours beforehand so obviously no munchies after 8pm tonight. Does fasting mean just no food or does it mean no food and no water?

just food id say it was unhealthy to go that long without water, when i had mine done i ate nothing but i had water and was fine

Just to confirm what Steff said, I asked at the surgery when I was gonna have a fasting blood test, and they said it was okay to drink water.

xx

In fact as a diabetic it is better to drink lots of water before a blood test, I was always told to drink plenty beforehand as it helps the blood come out and less chance of it congealing and having to be repeated.

Thanks for the replies - it's funny how the strangest questions can crop up!

sure is cliff thats why this place is a legend you can ask anything and always get an answer

Thanks for the replies - it's funny how the strangest questions can crop up!

Yep, and we learn such a lot from reading answers to other people's questions, that's why you should never be 'afraid' to ask anything!

xx

If you're encouraged to drink water, what about unsweetened tea?

Best to ask when you're given the information, but it's a bit late for that now. Were you given any written information when the appointment was made? That should confirm the water issue, but generally, fasting means no nutrition (food, whether solid or liquid), but pure water is OK. Also, good idea to take food / drink / money for cafe (depending on facilities) for after the test. Generally, people who have fasting blood taken are at least offered a cup of tea afterwards, but guess it does depend on the surgery / hospital etc.

i think the milk would be regarded as food

Generally, people who have fasting blood taken are at least offered a cup of tea afterwards, but guess it does depend on the surgery / hospital etc.

not at my old hospital, they even told me off for not fasting! I only had one day that i could go for the blood test and woke up between 4 and 5 so didn't want to drive without eating anything so went anyway and told them not to do the fasting cholesterol but could do the rest of the tests, they got cross and wrote on the form "patient refused to fast"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back