Faster treatment for diabetic foot patients could slash £650m NHS costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A total of 62% of patients with diabetic foot ulcers are seen within two weeks of a GP referral, according to the first National Diabetes Foot Care Audit (NDFA) – a new branch of the National Diabetes Audit (NDA).

But the audit's findings suggest that the £650m annual cost to the NHS of diabetic foot ulcers could be reduced if all patients were seen this quickly.

It also found that nearly half of CCGs and local health boards did not have all three of the basic NICE recommended systems in place to care for people with diabetic foot disease.

Diabetic foot ulcers
NICE guidance suggests patients should be seen within 2–4 weeks for people who are at high risk of developing a diabetic foot problem, and within 6–8 weeks for people at moderate risk.

But the audit showed rapid treatment significantly improved recovery. Patients were 50% likely to be ulcer-free after 12 weeks if they were seen by an expert within two weeks of initial presentation with their GP.

http://www.gponline.com/faster-trea...tes/complications-of-diabetes/article/1389363

We've had examples from members here where a GP or nurse has failed to treat potential problems quickly enough, when they should clearly have been referred to an expert :(

I only got an ordinary podiatry apt (not the 'special team') as quickly as I did cos they'd just had a cancellation when I phoned, then they wanted to see me every 8 weeks, but the first appointment after that one, was 15 weeks!

As a Type 1 and have been for 56 years and living in Plymouth,I was amazed at first that I could get podiatry treatment and shoes made for me in the 1990's and then after 15 years and getting my shoes repaired by the NHS;which I was told to protect me and others from feet problems;when in March this years I was told that I would now be responsible for my own repairs which did not bother me ;but not necessary to the same standards as the NHS putting foot care again on the back burner. False economy I thick for us all?

As a Type 1 and have been for 56 years and living in Plymouth,I was amazed at first that I could get podiatry treatment and shoes made for me in the 1990's and then after 15 years and getting my shoes repaired by the NHS;which I was told to protect me and others from feet problems;when in March this years I was told that I would now be responsible for my own repairs which did not bother me ;but not necessary to the same standards as the NHS putting foot care again on the back burner. False economy I thick for us all?
I agree Alan. Even though I've only been diagnosed for 8 years I've noticed a significant reduction in foot care. When I first went they had a proper podiatry room at the local walk-in centre. They did a thorough check and even went so far as to providing thermal insoles because I suffered extremely cold feet after diagnosis, and they offered to operate on a slightly ingrowing toenail (I declined). This changed to a room with a 'travelling' podiatrist - the proper room had gone - but she still did a thorough check. Last time it was again a travelling podiatrist but a much more cursory check. Now they have closed the walk-in centre so not sure where I will go next time.

A lot of our members are only given a cursory annual check by a practice nurse or have to pay themselves for a trained podiatrist. There have been some pretty awful stories too of members whose GPs have not recognised the dangers of wounds and infections when coupled with diabetes, unfortunately leading to loss of toes :(

The vast majority of the NHS budget goes on treating complications - something like 80% might be avoided. THIS is where the money can be saved, not by reducing preventative care! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back