Fast acting carbs for hypos

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Stupidly I've only got 3 dextro tablets left until tomorrow when some arrive from Amazon and no 150ml cans of coke. We've got sugar in but I hate sugar and water :(
Would these be ok as a temporary measure?
Screenshot_20220107-232801_Nutracheck.jpg

Sure. Looks like they're boiled sweets, so hard. So a bit slower to eat than other things. But it's only until you can get something better so they'll do fine.

Sure. Looks like they're boiled sweets, so hard. So a bit slower to eat than other things. But it's only until you can get something better so they'll do fine.
Thanks @bruce-stephens and for replying so quickly when it's late at night.

Jam or honey might be faster. Difficult to suck the fruit drops fast enough?

Jam or honey might be faster. Difficult to suck the fruit drops fast enough?
Thanks @silentsquirrel great suggestion here and we do have both of those in.
On carbs and cals app it would be

1 tablespoon of jam
Screenshot_20220108-071405_Carbs & Cals.jpg
or
1 tablespoon of honey
Screenshot_20220108-071512_Carbs & Cals.jpg

Do you have any dried fruit? Apricots raisins etc make good hypo treatment

Boiled sweets always seem a bit dangerous as they can easily slip down your throat and if you crunch them you risk breaking you teeth. Neither of which would be good.

When I can’t find my Dextro, I use sugar stirred into a little milk. That works ok. It’s not as fast as glucose but palatable and safer than hard sweets. I’ve also bashed hard sweets with a rolling pin so that they’re in tiny chunks. Quicker to work and safer too.

Thanks everyone for all the replies and tonight I now have 9 packs of dextro - 3 packs which I bought off Amazon and 6 packs which my hubby came home from Tesco with

I mainly use Jelly Babies; I find Dextrose tablets a bit unpleasant. There was a brief period in 2021 when JBs were in short supply from our home delivery supermarket, so I looked at options. Fruit pastilles work well, not much difference in price or carb content to JBs.
Then my 8yr old grandson introduced me to Haribo sweets; proved to be really good. As well as buying bulk packs they come in small pocket sized bags of about 9 sweets and providing 20-25 gm CHO (there are different types of Haribo and it depends on what's in any one bag). Just before Halloween, Haribos were on sale everywhere, in bulk quantities of the small packs for "trick or treat". Amazing value, worked out at under 20 pence per 100 gms, or about 5 pence per bag. They also provide a change from JBs, which can be boring when hypo strikes are too frequent!

I mainly use Jelly Babies; I find Dextrose tablets a bit unpleasant. There was a brief period in 2021 when JBs were in short supply from our home delivery supermarket, so I looked at options. Fruit pastilles work well, not much difference in price or carb content to JBs.
Then my 8yr old grandson introduced me to Haribo sweets; proved to be really good. As well as buying bulk packs they come in small pocket sized bags of about 9 sweets and providing 20-25 gm CHO (there are different types of Haribo and it depends on what's in any one bag). Just before Halloween, Haribos were on sale everywhere, in bulk quantities of the small packs for "trick or treat". Amazing value, worked out at under 20 pence per 100 gms, or about 5 pence per bag. They also provide a change from JBs, which can be boring when hypo strikes are too frequent!
Thank you for sharing some other options 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back