Fancy a lie-in on weekends? New study finds it could lead obesity and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
People who find it difficult to get out of bed at the weekends are more likely to suffer from chronic health problems such as obesity and diabetes compared to individuals who are up with the lark even when they do not have to go to work, a study has found.

Scientists said that people with “social jet-leg” – when sleeping patterns differ significantly between work days and rest days – may suffer from a chronic metabolic disturbance that causes them to pile on the pounds and to develop diabetes and other health problems.

The researchers found an association between social jet-leg and body fat when they analysed the sleeping patterns and weight of more than 800 people who have been followed for many years as part of the Dunedin Longitudinal Study in New Zealand.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-could-lead-obesity-and-diabetes-9990661.html

Interesting research. There's growing interest in the links between sleep patterns and health outcomes.

Another reason why 0900 parkruns in England & Wales / 0930 in Scotland & Northern Ireland are a good idea. Or anything else that gives you a reason to do something fun and active at the weekend, assuming you work Mon to Fri.

I'm trying to work out if I can do a parkrun next Saturday between collecting a load of secomd hand nordic skis and boots on Friday, then meeting a friend to help with her sports massage practice and report to work at 1200, not in my home town. Good thing I've got big car, but I don't think I can sleep in car with all those skis, poles & boots, hence solution may be to find a cheap B&B for Fri night, somewhere near a parkrun. Or try out skis if there's adequate snow cover on fells.

'Another particular avenue of pleasure has been closed off' as Basil Fawlty would say. Lol

I take enormous pleasure from my Saturday morning lie in. It is the only day I have to do so. I do not get up to 9.30am instead of my usual 7.30am. Hubby brings me a cup of tea about 8 and I lie and read or snooze and its great. Is that why I am a diabetic today? I don't think so.

I cant sit still ! I hate not doing something ! Life is for Living 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back