Family meals

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahb83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone! I’m looking for ideas for family meals before I was diagnosed with type 2 I used to think I cooked but opening jars and packets isn’t cooking at all and when I actually started to read the jars of sauces this morning I’ve put a bolognaise into the slow cooker as thought I’d combine sorting tonight’s tea with showing Connor my 18 year old (he has global developmental delay) how to do a bolognaise using the slow cooker, threw in a chopped onion, tinned chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, oregano and turkey mince il do pasta for the rest of the house and have roast cauliflower with mine. There’s me, my husband, my 18 year old son and 2 daughters age 14 and 10 any family meal ideas that I could cook for everyone that would be suitable for me aswell would be greatly appreciated for the past few months since I was diagnosed In September I’ve been eating separate meals with my husband and I’d like to start being able to eat as a family again x

You have the right idea with your bolognaise, most meals can be adapted by not including the high carb things like potatoes and serving separately for the others. Stir-fries, casseroles, roasts, homemade burgers, high meat content sausages. There are some low carb curry sauces or pastes. It all depends on what you normally cook.
Pinch of Nom has good recipes, The Hairy Bikers Hairy dieters eat for life, Low Carb Revolution by Annie Bell, The Diabetes weight loss Cookbook by Caldesi, Keto Kitchen by Monya Palmer or you can just do a search for Low carb recipes for the food you want to cook

You have the right idea with your bolognaise, most meals can be adapted by not including the high carb things like potatoes and serving separately for the others. Stir-fries, casseroles, roasts, homemade burgers, high meat content sausages. There are some low carb curry sauces or pastes. It all depends on what you normally cook.
Pinch of Nom has good recipes, The Hairy Bikers Hairy dieters eat for life, Low Carb Revolution by Annie Bell, The Diabetes weight loss Cookbook by Caldesi, Keto Kitchen by Monya Palmer or you can just do a search for Low carb recipes for the food you want to cook
What else do you have as a side instead of potatoes/pasta/rice I usually have mashed turnip or roasted cauliflower

What else do you have as a side instead of potatoes/pasta/rice I usually have mashed turnip or roasted cauliflower
Butternut squash, celeriac. I am Ok with a small slice of bread or half a bread roll as long as the rest of the meal has minimal carbs.
I use edamame or black bean pasta which is much lower carb 15g carb per 100g dry wt and I find 25g dry wt plenty for a portion.
Some people use Konjac rice, pasta, noodles but I hate them.

I shop in Lidl and they have a couple of 'themed' mixtures of frozen veges which I always have in the freezer to use in casseroles or as stir fries.
I have been eating low carb for a very long time and so - when feeding the family - I had the same core items as the rest of the family plus extra veges whilst they had a higher carb option.

What about curries, chilli and tray bakes (eg roast vegetables and sausages together, can do potatoes for the others). You could show your son curry and chilli in the slow cooker too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back