False Hypo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylkwood

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You will probably think me daft asking this (And to be honest I do as well). But do you think you can have a hypo and yet your readings are ok (lets say 7.5) or can your body have too much insulin and give you weird feelings like a hypo and yet your blood sugar readings are normal. I have got to get to the bottom of feeling ill and this is a thought as to what it might be.
Daft I know.

If my blood sugar is dropping fast, eg after a correction dose, I sometimes feel like I’m hypo when I’m in the 6s or 7s @Sylkwood It’s the fast drop, I think. I tend to have a tiny nibble of something sweetish and some water.

I get that too @Inka

And also I think it can depend on what warning signs you are feeling.

Many of the sensations I most associate with impending hypoglycaemia can also happen at other times and for non-glucose related reasons

creeping sense of anxiety
trembliness
tingling lips
slightly spaced-out feeling
hungry

Even things like sweating and visual disturbance/flashing can happen because of other emotional or physical states (eg blood pressure fluctuation, nerves, or temperature)

You can also get false hypo symptoms at higher BG if your body has got used to even higher levels.
If you have been running your BG in the teens, your body will get used to this. So, 7.5 will feel low.

Not at all daft. When lowering bgl a person that is accustomed to higher levels can sometimes experience false hypos at levels that are normal or even high but are noticeably lower than their body previously has gotten used to. This tends to resolve the longer and more you experience new better, lower levels and your body reacclimatises to what it should be. Try not to overtreat them if you aren’t in danger of an actual hypo or it prolongs the time it takes to get used to better levels. If you feel a danger to yourself because of unsteadiness obviously don’t drive or use machinery and take a tiny bit of carbs at a time just until it eases. Don’t scoff a whole packet of biscuits lol

It can also happen when dropping rapidly from a higher level down to more usual levels. Personally I’ve had it happen when eating low carb and I’ve had an unexpected high carb meal and as a result my body has overreacted and dumped a lot on insulin in ”panic” mode as it were and ended up dropping much faster than normal.

I also can feel low like symptoms when I dropping fast(although I do have other things that can cause the same symptoms and also when sometimes my symptoms when I'm high are kind of the same.). So yes it kind happen.

And yes heat is big thing I was constantly thinking "I am low or just hot" in the summer

Thank you to you all for your helpful replies it is good to know that it is not so daft after all. Maybe this could be what is affecting me seeing as the doctors cannot find what it is.

Thank you to you all for your helpful replies it is good to know that it is not so daft after all. Maybe this could be what is affecting me seeing as the doctors cannot find what it is.
Do you mean your vision has changed and things are blurred.
When you have high blood glucose the environment in the eye has become sugary so the shape of the eye changes affecting the focus but it usually happens slowly and the brain adapts but when blood glucose starts to come down as a result of dietary changes and medication the change is often quick so the returns to it's normal salty environment and the shape changes again so you notice the blurred vision. It can take some time to settle down and an optician should not prescribe new glasses until it has.
But any worry it is worth getting checked by an optician.

When I first went on low carb i did go from graze eating to three saucer meals a day.
On one or two of those days i spent time passing out on the loo going cold sweaty and thinking can i get back to bed. I eventually did thinking i was hypo and it would be high enough to be normal.
i also got really bad vision I asked on here and they told me the eye change happens.
i eat more but still low carb My bs are lower but im still not in the hypo range .
If your mad so am i.

Do you mean your vision has changed and things are blurred.
When you have high blood glucose the environment in the eye has become sugary so the shape of the eye changes affecting the focus but it usually happens slowly and the brain adapts but when blood glucose starts to come down as a result of dietary changes and medication the change is often quick so the returns to it's normal salty environment and the shape changes again so you notice the blurred vision. It can take some time to settle down and an optician should not prescribe new glasses until it has.
But any worry it is worth getting checked by an optician.

I read it as “seeing as” - ie on account of - not a vision problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back