False hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Can anyone tell me what a false hypo is?
I've notice when ever I get into the low 4s I feel quite odd.

It is when you feel as if your blood glucose is low (so hypo symptoms) but it actually is not. It is usually a result of your body adjusting to a lower glucose level after being high for some time.
For Type 1 diabetics if blood glucose is less than 4 then it would be a genuine hypo and would need to be treated.
I'm not sure if the same applies to Type 2 unless on insulin.

Hi @Karen999 ,
I asked this question on the general message board on 30 Jan this year and if I was cleverer I'd attach a link to that thread!

@Pattidevans answered this (n a different thread) as:

"A false hypo is when you feel the symptoms but are in fact not actually hypo. Usually this is caused by the body being used to higher levels and when it drops - to say 4.7 - your body reacts as it would towards a real hypo i.e. you experience the symptoms. Nothing to do with the technology."

That said, you will encounter the term false hypo being used in quite different ways

Interesting thankyou I seem to have had both, felt faint with a tingly face blood 3.9. And the same feeling 4.9

Hi @Karen999 - what medication are you actually taking for your diabetes - any (in which case, what) or none?

I'm not taking any medication. Hoping to be back into non diabetic numbers when I have my next hbac1 at the end of May. I've been 48, 42, then a year later back to 58 , but being alot more consistent with my eating now. I might have panicked and dropped my carbs to quick.

@Karen999 it might be wise to mention these episodes to your GP - your levels are definitely lower than what would be a more usual number for a non medicated type 2 with a false hypo - it doesn't quite add up.
I had a few minor wobbles when coming down from numbers in the high teens in the first months after diagnosis, descending from a Hba1c of 91.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back