Falling off the Wagon….

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJT82

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Evening folks, as the title suggests I’m starting to wobble! I guess letting things into my life over Xmas that I’d denied myself since diagnosis last year has opened the door for worsening habits. Things haven’t been terrible and probably in reflection still good compared to my old ways but I’ve steadily found some less good foods sneaking in and today I actually ate something that was of no benefit to my health at all (some sugary chocolate thing that didn’t even taste like the holy land I was expecting!).

I’ve done so well in sticking to good ways and have lost 3.5 stone since October, I really don’t want to chuck it away.

Any advise for riding out these wobbles or powering through when the good habit novelty wears off??

Thanks,

You have done marvellously well by keeping to your plan so don't let a period of a few lapses put you off getting back on track.
Tastes change which is all to the good and the things you previously enjoyed will just be too sweet.
Get rid of all the tempting things and start tomorrow as you mean to go on.
I think it is important that the new way of eating has to be a way you enjoy and you will be less tempted.
I don't think there is anything I miss now and I certainly don't feel deprived of anything. Low carb normal fat is my chosen regime.

Small wobbles which show you that the food which is bad for you really is bad - and a disappointment as well can help to make the way of eating more resilient.
When provided with sandwiches as the only option, these days I happily eat the contents and leave the bread, promising myself a late supper of acceptable foods from my own fridge. Low carb foods are the tasty treats.

Your not alone i was diagnosed last year and had my first crimbo of diabetes and just got my hba1c results (tested last week I was in for something else but they did the full work up) and I've slipped from 48 in October to 54 now so its like a little kick in the pants to keep me on track/get back on it, its so easy to slip back into 'bad' habits that have developed over the years and @Drummer is right its acted like a warning to keep up my developing 'good' habits.
I'm going to say remember it but try not to repeat it and keep going with the 'good.

My advice when you are wobbling is to come on this forum. It usually does the trick with me, just focusing on how brilliantly people have done here. I still find it inspirational and it helps me get back on that wagon. You've done brilliantly so far, keep up the good work!

Thanks for the replies folks, as always priceless.

I’ve had a think about it, the positive is that I’ve identified the wobble early on and I’m 100% sure I don’t want to go backwards. I think an issue is I’m very much an all or nothing type of guy, so allowing a little bit in as a treat has opened the door, combined with my weight loss I think I’ve been thinking the job was done, the job will never be done.

Also, I think some of the slips have happened as maybe I’ve gone too hardcore which is leaving me hungry and a busy schedule has often left me eating the same few meals repeatedly for ease, leading to boredom.

So, closing the door to the treats / self congratulation and look into varying my go to meals I think is the new tactic. Today has been back on message….

Thanks again,

Thanks for the replies folks, as always priceless.

I’ve had a think about it, the positive is that I’ve identified the wobble early on and I’m 100% sure I don’t want to go backwards. I think an issue is I’m very much an all or nothing type of guy, so allowing a little bit in as a treat has opened the door, combined with my weight loss I think I’ve been thinking the job was done, the job will never be done.

Also, I think some of the slips have happened as maybe I’ve gone too hardcore which is leaving me hungry and a busy schedule has often left me eating the same few meals repeatedly for ease, leading to boredom.

So, closing the door to the treats / self congratulation and look into varying my go to meals I think is the new tactic. Today has been back on message….

Thanks again,
When do you get your next hba1c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back