Fake tan

Suzanneh

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Good morning all.
Just after a bit of advice.
My sons getting married Monday and I was going to use a fake tan , is this safe for type 2 ?. I’m a New diabetic so still learning all the time . I’ve read conflicting advice.
Looking forward to help on this subject
Many thanks

Hey @Suzanneh, congratulations on your son's upcoming nuptials. Is the fake tan like a lotion or spray, or in a tanning booth or bed?

Hi
Thank you for your kind words .
It’s a tanning mouse called st.moriz. I’ve never tanned before .

Generally, I would think that a tanning mousse would be okay to use but because you haven't used it before, I would say to use a small amount on an area that's not on show (upper thigh or tummy area) to test it out. This would be just to ensure you don't have a reaction to it or that it doesn't irritate your skin. Mostly, the worry around diabetes would be if you have nerve damage in your hands, legs and feet (neuropathy). You could also run it past a pharmacist to see if they have any worries or concerns.

Keep us posted on how you get on, and of course the wedding itself - how exciting!

Good morning all.
Just after a bit of advice.
My sons getting married Monday and I was going to use a fake tan , is this safe for type 2 ?. I’m a New diabetic so still learning all the time . I’ve read conflicting advice.
Looking forward to help on this subject
Many thanks

I’m Type 1 but I’ve never even considered whether tanning products would affect my diabetes. I can’t see how they would. Sun beds might, but I avoid those anyway.

To be honest, in your situation my greatest worry would be inadvertently over-doing the tan or it turning orange. I certainly don’t think it will affect your Type 2.

My top fake tan tip is to exfoliate your skin first. That way it can’t sit on any dry places like knees and elbows.

Enjoy the wedding 🙂

As Inka says, exfoliate your skin first. Avoid putting much tan on knees and elbows (you can always mix moisturiser with the fake tan to water it down). It will have an odd smell to it as it oxidises (I hate the smell but it does fade quickly). I would have a good exfoliation tonight and put moisturiser on to prepare your skin and then do the fake tan tomorrow morning. That means you’ll be able to tell on Sunday if you like it or not. If you hate it then more exfoliating will make it fade. If you get dark patches then lemon juice will remove it.

I frequently use fake tan on my legs so they don't scare anyone with the blinding blue - white glare when I wear shorter leggings to the gym in the summer.
And my face moisturizer contains fake tan. A few years back, I tried an alternative moisturiser without the tanning. My colleagues kept asking me if I was ok because I looked so pale.
I try to maintain healthy levels rather than anything close to orange. In fact my colleagues had no idea my normal healthy look was false.

Never had a problem use frequently before i get natural tan

Back