Faith-healing couple sentenced to 10 years each

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
An Albany couple who believes in faith healing were sentenced to 10 years in prison on Friday for depriving their daughter of life-saving medical care — which resulted in manslaughter verdicts.

In delivering the sentence, Linn County Circuit Court Judge Daniel Murphy said he could not consider that Travis and Wenona Rossiter lived law-abiding and exemplary lives, that they had been good parents, and that there was an absence of malice in their actions.

Defense attorneys said the case showed the flaws of Measure 11, Oregon’s mandatory minimum sentencing law.

“The judge indicated he didn’t want to apply that sentence. He felt constrained by Measure 11,” said Mark Heslinga, Wenona Rossiter’s counsel.

Tim Felling, Travis Rossiter’s attorney, said the sentence would be appealed. Heslinga said other matters could be appealed, as well, such as pre-trial rulings.

In November, a 12-member jury found Travis and Wenona Rossiter guilty of first-degree and second-degree manslaughter at the conclusion of a six-day trial.

http://democratherald.com/albany/fa...cle_16867a2c-6b28-5a10-919b-2465b49f7639.html

To me, it's no different to hitting her over the head with a sledgehammer, totally unforgiveable :(

"Good parents"!!! They allowed their daughter to die through their appalling neglect - I shudder to think of how she must have suffered. :(. And why didn't any schoolteacher etc notice the state of her, I wonder? This whole family need to have their children taken into care.

...This whole family need to have their children taken into care.

Agreed - how can they leave other children at risk if they are taken into the care of relatives who share the same beliefs? How can believing a child doesn't need insulin be any different from believing they don't need food or water? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back