Fair hog goal: feed homeless, help friend with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Normally in this column, I’m the one doing the talking — well, the writing. But today, I’d like to begin by yielding the floor to an extraordinary girl named Brandi Spaich.

Here’s how she introduces herself on her fundraising page (more on that in a moment):

“I am 10 years old and a member of 4H. I raise a hog to show at the fair and sell at the auction at the end. Normally, this works by me going around and talking to businesses hoping to get them to come and bid on my hog. Then at the auction, the person who bids the highest per pound wins the bid and gets the hog. I use the money to pay for my expenses for raising my hog and the rest goes into an account for my college. I want to be a veterinarian, and that is expensive!

“Booker T. Washington, who was a great teacher, said, ‘Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way.’ I want to do this auction in an uncommon way. I would like to ask you to help me raise money for me to buy back my hog.”

http://www.news-press.com/story/new...-feed-homeless-help-friend-diabetes/70280394/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back