Ezitimbie(sp?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good morning.

As posted a while back, I was advised to take a statin for my high cholesterol (7).However, that statin (avosimething) caused slightly elevated (GO said slightly to my untrained eye the number looked very elevated) After a few urgent (again, his word) blood tests including liver screening for other stuff everything returned to normal. I was taken off the Statin immediately. A few weeks later, I need to think how to manage the cholesterol my GP mentioned a cholesterol lowering drug called Ezitimbe (something like that) which works on the digestive tract. However, it's better taken alongside a statin . After my latest experience I am loathe to go near a Statin and just wondered if anyone takes the Ezitimbe tab without a Statin and does it work okish to lower cholesterol? I am not worried about reaching the required NICE level of 4 but a small reduction would be a benefit. My GP is a man of few words and the other GPs in the surgery are pretty similar.

Good morning.

As posted a while back, I was advised to take a statin for my high cholesterol (7).However, that statin (avosimething) caused slightly elevated (GO said slightly to my untrained eye the number looked very elevated) After a few urgent (again, his word) blood tests including liver screening for other stuff everything returned to normal. I was taken off the Statin immediately. A few weeks later, I need to think how to manage the cholesterol my GP mentioned a cholesterol lowering drug called Ezitimbe (something like that) which works on the digestive tract. However, it's better taken alongside a statin . After my latest experience I am loathe to go near a Statin and just wondered if anyone takes the Ezitimbe tab without a Statin and does it work okish to lower cholesterol? I am not worried about reaching the required NICE level of 4 but a small reduction would be a benefit. My GP is a man of few words and the other GPs in the surgery are pretty similar.
Hi Sharron
I have been taking 10mg Ezetimibe for almost 3 months now. No obvious side effects yet (though it took me years to realise that the statins (Atorvastatin then Simvastatin (cost) then back to Atorvastatin) were causing some of my aches and pains).

After increasing breathlessness after decreasing exertion I saw a cardiologist in January and after investigations I have a diagnosis of aortic stenosis, and have been referred to Papworth for aortic valve replacement. We discussed my intolerance to statins, I asked whether it was worth trying one of the other statins but he didn't take me up on this. I also asked about Ezetimibe and he agreed it would be worth trying - no great positivity on his part!

I am supposed to be going for a lipids blood test soon to see if it is having any effect on my levels, I will let you know when I have done this. I may keep delaying the test as I am now deep into external exam marking for 6 - 7 weeks, and the only way to get bloods done here is at the cottage hospital, with 2 hours wait not unusual. 2 hours waiting is 2 hours less sleep!

I added Oat Bran to my breakfast and upped the carbs I ate, as every time I eat more carbs, cholesterol seems to drop.
This brought my cholesterol back down to normal levels for my last test (Despite two full English breakfasts the days before the blood test!) and the ratios were all normal. Although it was not as high as 7, just a bit over. (Trigs are always very, very low.)

These are the only mention of it I could find @Sharron1

Have you tried dietary measures? From my questions about statins, it seems individuals can tolerate some much better than others. Would the dose be less in a joint tablet?:

Hi,

I keep to a low saturate diet naturally, the main problem isn't dietary cholesterol but blood cholestrol that needs a helping hand.

As for a lower dosage with the Ezitimbe is an idea which I gad thought about cut can I get any advice from surgery, of course not, mostly humming.

Have you tried a low total fat diet? My cholesterol is a little higher than the recommended range. My doctor said the ratio was great and it was normal for me, but I thought I’d experiment with diet, having read about improvements.

Have you tried a low total fat diet? My cholesterol is a little higher than the recommended range. My doctor said the ratio was great and it was normal for me, but I thought I’d experiment with diet, having read about improvements.
Yup, tried that for a year between diabetes review. Didn't work for me. I added supposedly cholestrol lowering stuff to my foods. Still high cholesterol. Part of the problem is, there is no way to have a conversation with GP about it. Hey ho

Last edited:
Yup, tried that for a year between diabetes review. Didn't work for me. I added supposedly cholestrol lowerong stuff to my foods. Still high cholesterol. Hey ho

I think I remember @PattiEvans mentioning Ezetimibe, but not sure if she was offered / taking it, or must knew about it.

Were you offered Rosuvastatin @Sharron1? If I remember right, some members who had untoward effects from garden variety statins seemed to get in better with that one?

Hi @Sharron1

I’ve taken 10mg of Ezetimibe for about 25 years. I’ve never had high cholesterol but was told I should take a statin in my 30’s. My cholesterol is still the same level as it was when I started taking it, that may be due to the tablet or not.

I tried statins and they made me so unwell really fast. I lost control of my muscles so I couldn’t control my movement or stand. Really terrifying.

I haven’t had any side effects from taking Ezetimibe & my cholesterol remains in acceptable range. I have to argue to keep using it every so often as it gets changed to a statin on my prescription because they cost less.

Hope you get on ok if you take it.

I was offered it, but after researching it I refused. Hubby took it for a while, but it made no difference to his cholesterol. So he gave in and accepted a statin, though previously statins had caused him a lot of muscle weakness and pain. The one he is on now (atorvastastin) seems to suit him.

After a lot of research I am totally unconvinced that diet plays much of a part at all in cholesterol levels.

I’m not sure if dietary cholesterol plays a role but all I’ve read says that diet can affect cholesterol, eg:

The types of fat in the diet help determine the amount of total, HDL, and LDL cholesterol in the bloodstream. The types and amount of carbohydrate in the diet also play a role. Cholesterol in food matters, too, but not nearly as much.”

If diet had no effect, then how do people improve their cholesterol stats by changing their diet? There are lots of stories online about people doing just that.

I've been offered them as an alternative to statins but have so far resisted both. They don't appear (at first glance anyway) to have quite as many side effects as statins but I know that's subjective and everyone is different.

To be honest, I need to book in with my GP and have a good chat about cholesterol because I'm totally flummoxed as to why my levels continue to creep up, despite losing 7 stone, cutting out all processed foods and eating as well as I've ever eaten in my life! @PattiEvans yes, I'm also starting to wonder if diet plays very little part and age and genetics are indeed the bigger factors.

Apologies @Sharron1 I went off on a bit of a tangent there and didn't really answer your question!

I’m not sure if dietary cholesterol plays a role but all I’ve read says that diet can affect cholesterol, eg:

The types of fat in the diet help determine the amount of total, HDL, and LDL cholesterol in the bloodstream. The types and amount of carbohydrate in the diet also play a role. Cholesterol in food matters, too, but not nearly as much.”

If diet had no effect, then how do people improve their cholesterol stats by changing their diet? There are lots of stories online about people doing just that.
I should have been clearer and said that cholesterol in food has little effect. Years ago eggs were demonised, but subsequently it was found that eating cholesterol had little to no effect and eggs were once again pronounced healthy.

I've been offered them as an alternative to statins but have so far resisted both. They don't appear (at first glance anyway) to have quite as many side effects as statins but I know that's subjective and everyone is different.

To be honest, I need to book in with my GP and have a good chat about cholesterol because I'm totally flummoxed as to why my levels continue to creep up, despite losing 7 stone, cutting out all processed foods and eating as well as I've ever eaten in my life! @PattiEvans yes, I'm also starting to wonder if diet plays very little part and age and genetics are indeed the bigger factors.

Apologies @Sharron1 I went off on a bit of a tangent there and didn't really answer your question!
No problem , it is confusing

Ezetimibe is used to lower cholesterol in familial hypercholesteroleamia.
It can be use in conjunction with statins if needed to reduce cardiovascular risk.
Statins vary in their potency.
Rosuvastatin is one of the most potent as mentioned earlier.
Perhaps ask your GP if he and you are willing to try Rosuvastatin + ezetimibe.
If you are uncomfortable with this idea ezetimibe alone will lower your cholesterol but has little data on long term outcomes in reducing cardiovascular disease.
Ezetimibe is usually well tolerated by most patients.
Keep pushing, your GP needs to be proactive.
Good luck

Thank you. After my last few trips for liver blood tests I really don't repeat performances

I've done some reading on Ezetimibe. It's not as effective as a statin at reducing LDL and (total cholesterol minus HDL) but it has an effect. It is very effective when taken together with a low-dose statin. It is generally well tolerated. The most common side effect is upper respiratory infections (colds) and occurs in around 1 in 20 people taking it.

This 3 video series of interviews with lipidologist Dr. Thomas Dayspring has everything you might want to know - how Ezetimibe works, why most people are not effected by high dietary cholesterol intake (but some are), and more. State of the art information - over 6 hours of interview material so it's hard work, but if you're concerned, it might be worth your time. Links to the three interview videos here - Link

I've done some reading on Ezetimibe. It's not as effective as a statin at reducing LDL and (total cholesterol minus HDL) but it has an effect. It is very effective when taken together with a low-dose statin. It is generally well tolerated. The most common side effect is upper respiratory infections (colds) and occurs in around 1 in 20 people taking it.

This 3 video series of interviews with lipidologist Dr. Thomas Dayspring has everything you might want to know - how Ezetimibe works, why most people are not effected by high dietary cholesterol intake (but some are), and more. State of the art information - over 6 hours of interview material so it's hard work, but if you're concerned, it might be worth your time. Links to the three interview videos here - Link
Dayspring is triffic.

Many thanks.Tbh, I am not overly concerned,I simply don't want a series of trips for blood tests again But I suspect that's exactly what will happen. Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back