Eyesight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genieman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi! I’m newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I’ve been put on 10mg of dapagliflozin as my HbA1c was 96!
I had many symptoms before a blood test confirmed it but I have a weird one and wondered if anyone else has had this. My eyesight has changed. My far vision had got worse and but near vision was crystal clear. NOW after being in the tablets for only a few days my fat vision is amazing and my near vision is awful! I have always been short sighted so had laser surgery so haven’t really needed glasses for quite a while so this is a shock! Is this normal?!

Hi! I’m newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I’ve been put on 10mg of dapagliflozin as my HbA1c was 96!
I had many symptoms before a blood test confirmed it but I have a weird one and wondered if anyone else has had this. My eyesight has changed. My far vision had got worse and but near vision was crystal clear. NOW after being in the tablets for only a few days my fat vision is amazing and my near vision is awful! I have always been short sighted so had laser surgery so haven’t really needed glasses for quite a while so this is a shock! Is this normal?!
Welcome to the forum
Yes it can be quite normal for eyesight to change.
When blood glucose is high for a long time the environment in the eye is 'sugary' but it has changes quite slowly and you don't necessarily notice the change but when as a result of dietary changes and medication the eye environment starts to change back to the more normal 'salty' so the shape of the eye changes quickly so your focus can change.
It should settle back but can take a while, weeks to months is not uncommon.
Mine changed when I started a low carb regime and my near vision was awful, distance was fine. It did take several months to settle down.
If you are concerned then get your optician to check out your eyes but they should not recommend a change in prescription until your blood glucose has stabilised, you can try a pair of cheap reading glasses to see if that would help.

Welcome to the forum
Yes it can be quite normal for eyesight to change.
When blood glucose is high for a long time the environment in the eye is 'sugary' but it has changes quite slowly and you don't necessarily notice the change but when as a result of dietary changes and medication the eye environment starts to change back to the more normal 'salty' so the shape of the eye changes quickly so your focus can change.
It should settle back but can take a while, weeks to months is not uncommon.
Mine changed when I started a low carb regime and my near vision was awful, distance was fine. It did take several months to settle down.
If you are concerned then get your optician to check out your eyes but they should not recommend a change in prescription until your blood glucose has stabilised, you can try a pair of cheap reading glasses to see if that would help.
Thank you for your welcome and reply! That is such a relief to hear someone else experiencing the same! When I rang Diabetes UK they hadn’t heard of it before! Been out to buy some reading glasses so so pleased I can read properly again!

Yes.
My far sight blurred but near vision got better (it was already getting worse due to age)

When I got my blood sugar down my far vision went pin sharp and near sight went back to how it was before.

High blood sugar changes the shape of the lens.

Thank you for your welcome and reply! That is such a relief to hear someone else experiencing the same! When I rang Diabetes UK they hadn’t heard of it before! Been out to buy some reading glasses so so pleased I can read properly again!
I only knew about why I had the problem by reading what somebody had posted on the forum.

Hi and welcome @Genieman

Blurred vision is a common symptom of diabetes before diagnosis and it can take a while to settle back to normal focus. The lenses of the eyes are affected by high circulating glucose levels pre diagnosis and this causes the lenses to swell and change shape which in turn alters the focus of the eyes. It is best to reduce glucose levels steadily and not too quickly. Also don't pay for new lenses in glasses - if you wear them - until things have settled down and your glucose levels are back in range.

Here's a list of some of the main symptoms of diabetes from the Diabetes UK site with blurred vision listed. Things will improve as glucose levels stabilise.

Diabetes symptoms​

• Toilet - going for a wee a lot, especially at night.
  • Thirsty - being really thirsty.
  • Tired - feeling more tired than usual.
  • Thinner - losing weight without trying to.
  • Genital itching or thrush.
  • Cuts and wounds take longer to heal.
  • Blurred eyesight
  • Increased hunger.

Last edited:
What can be confusing is that blurry vision can both be a symptom of high blood glucose but also experienced when levels drop quickly.

Yes mine was the same , I didn't need my distance glasses until my sugar levels were under control , it really freaked my wife out when she noticed that I was driving the car with no glasses on !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back