eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proudspirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys, glad your meet went well yesterday.
I just wanted to sk about follow up apts for eye tests. Over the past week or so my eye sight has been getting very blurred and i need to wear reading glasses more and more. My driving glasses dont seen to do anything either. anyway i had to come home from work early yeaterday as my eyes were really hot and felt heavy and weepy.
Went to the optician who cant fit me in for a normal eye test until 10th May so might nip to asda later! but i asked if they could do diabetic check at the same time and they said that i needed a letter, I did get one last year because it was the first time.. question is: do i get a letter every year and then make the apt or should the number that the optician wants be on their files?

Thanks guys
Julie

I suspect that how this works is different in different areas.

For me, I had to organise by retinopathy screening for the first time through my GP (I assume that is what you meant by diabetic check?). In theory, I am now 'on the system' and should receive a regular 12month check up automatically.

As for hot, heavy and weepy eyes, I suggest that if it persists then go and see your GP first rather than an opticians (but will be happily corrected if that isn't the case!).

Personally, I'd only go to the opticians for normal optical checks and for new glasses.

I think it varies by area, my optician always does the retinal photos, as do my clinic, but it maybe depends on the PCT and how it's funded. I've never had to get a letter to get the photos done at the optician, surely they shouldn't need one every year as it is a lifelong condition....?

Maybe you could ring wherever you have your diabetes care (clinic or GP) and ask them if the optician should be able to carry out screening every year. Hope you get it sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back