Status
Not open for further replies.

gsggv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi

T1 diabetic for 40+ years, does anyone else notice eyelid swelling when sugars run high? I think this is a new thing, if it's even a thing!
Thanks

I once had a very ugly eye infection like that the eye closed up totally. Needed anti biotics to sort.

i believe so. My blood sugar was very high and i have had some other skin things as well
odd rash on my hand etc
i just felt it was general wellbeing

Was this linked to your diabetes?
Infections are influenced by your diabetes in that high BG levels make them worse and harder to treat, because the glucose feeds the bacteria.

I have to say that swollen eyelids is nothing I have encountered myself or seen mentioned on the forum after 5 years of daily use, so I doubt it is directly related. Is it both eyelids and how high are your BG levels when it happens and how quickly does the swelling dissipate when your levels come back down?

Infections are influenced by your diabetes in that high BG levels make them worse and harder to treat, because the glucose feeds the bacteria.

I have to say that swollen eyelids is nothing I have encountered myself or seen mentioned on the forum after 5 years of daily use, so I doubt it is directly related. Is it both eyelids and how high are your BG levels when it happens and how quickly does the swelling dissipate when your levels come back down?
It's a weird one. Not an infection like conjunctivitis as eyes aren't sore. It's not hay-fever or an allergy as meds don't make a difference, so just trying to eliminate things it could be or find a pattern. Both eyes but left worse than right.
Sugars went up to 18 overnight (new sensor fail and not a regular occurance to be at that level) Back to normal now but eyes still swollen, usually a couple of days before they are completely normal. I'll keep monitoring!

Certainly an unusual one which I have not seen or read about in the last 20 years.
However, I wonder if you have a mild underlying non-diabetic issue. I mention this because I find high (and low) BG can exaggerate any cough, sniff, ache, pain, etc.
For example, my current sports injury has become a "great" temporary hypo/hyper symptom: if my leg hurts more than usual, I take a finger prick. Now the injury is healing, when my BG is in range, I barely notice it.

Certainly an unusual one which I have not seen or read about in the last 20 years.
However, I wonder if you have a mild underlying non-diabetic issue. I mention this because I find high (and low) BG can exaggerate any cough, sniff, ache, pain, etc.
For example, my current sports injury has become a "great" temporary hypo/hyper symptom: if my leg hurts more than usual, I take a finger prick. Now the injury is healing, when my BG is in range, I barely notice it.
Hmm interesting I hadn't made that connection before, maybe so. Just got to work out what!!

Also, worth being aware that diabetes by no means causes every ailment. Rather the reverse can be the case: an illness that you are not yet aware that you have, can cause elevated BGs. Then a while later (can be hours or days) the illness becomes apparent. That late arrival often helps explain afterwards why your BG management had been well adrift.

Sorry @gsggv, I've just looked back at your previous thread and realise you know more about this than me! I think Gary Scheiner, early on in his book "Think Like a Pancreas" summed it all up when he said: "Diabetes is Complicated, Confusing and Contradictory". Anyway welcome to the Forum.

Also, worth being aware that diabetes by no means causes every ailment. Rather the reverse can be the case: an illness that you are not yet aware that you have, can cause elevated BGs. Then a while later (can be hours or days) the illness becomes apparent. That late arrival often helps explain afterwards why your BG management had been well adrift.

Sorry @gsggv, I've just looked back at your previous thread and realise you know more about this than me! I think Gary Scheiner, early on in his book "Think Like a Pancreas" summed it all up when he said: "Diabetes is Complicated, Confusing and Contradictory". Anyway welcome to the Forum.
Ha ha maybe more experience but definitely don't know more than anyone, especially as things change! Definitely agree with that quote, just when you think youve got it sussed it all changes again! Appreciate all thoughts and ideas, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back