Eye worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxlou_lxx

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I wasnt going to post but im slightly worried now since looking at google... (dont look at google for reasurance)
Anyway, I have diabetes for 21 years noe and am aware of all the complications etc. So when I started to see a floater in my field of vision I didnt think it was related to retinopathy in any way... until I looked at google!!:( Im now worried!! This floater thing is really noticable when I am outside since it really light, not noticable when im in the house...
Do any of you guys have anything similar?
TBH I wouldnt even know who to contact to discuss it :confused:

Hi Lou,

have a read through the thread that Steff gave the link to.

I wouldn't worry at this stage. A lot of people (diabetics and non-diabetics) get floaters get floaters at some time. You will probably find that it disappears in a few days.

You will notice it more in bright light or when looking at a blank background such a plain wall or grey sky.

we all get floaters from time to time, they disapear in a few days. If you are worried and haven't yet had an eye test, see the opticians who will be able to give you further reassuarnce.

No ive had just one floater for a while, in my left eye, it seems to be more noticable now to the point where im squinting to see out of it when im outside!
maybe there is more than one now, i dont know. But this is something that doesnt come and go so everytime im outside i will see it at one point and thats when it annoys me! 🙄
Thank you for the link steff I did a search but couldnt see anything (your always so helpful lol)

I didnt bother mentioning it to my doc since i have been for the eye photos twice in the last 9 months and they didnt say anything... maybe got nothing to do with diabetes? :confused:

this sounds daft but its circle lol I dunno what size but i have deffo mistaken it for a pesky wasp before, then realised i was screaming for nothing!!😉

Hi Lou,

if it's a circle then I'm sure it's just a floater and nothing to worry about.

I've had a number of bleeds in the past and they have been much larger and irregular in shape.

For your own peace of mind it may be worth just making an appointment to see your doctor or an optician.

Keith.

Cheers Keith, Im actually a lot more anxious about things concerning my diabetes these days than I ever was so im maybe just over reacting... Ill mention it when I see my gp in 2 weeks.
Just good to know im not the only one to have these floaters lol :D

Hi Lou,

I've got floaters in my eyes but nothing other than that. During my retinopathy screening they picked up early diabetic changes. Not surprising after fourteen years! That said, I'd get checked out by an optician, better safe than sorry. I just don't notice the floaters really, I've had them for years. Hopefully they'll go when I've got my control up to standard now I'm pumping.

Tom

If the floaters aren't pink elephants, then I'm sure a quick check up wouldn't be a bad thing, but yes I agree the Intenet is Evil, it told me I had Diabetes for a start!! about a month before doc would admit it! Hope it clears up but yes I worry about vision myself.

Take care

Rossi 🙂

Just wanted to say that even if it is a sign of retinopathy that it's probably an early sign and retinopathy is very treatable at that stage. They put laser burns on to the edge of the retina, if you get bleeds in your eye they mostly clear up within a few days/weeks/a month or so, even more serious ones can clear up eventually.

AND if they don't, then there's the option of a vitrectomy, where they remove the blood filled gel from your eye under a GA and replace it with saline.

I've been relatively lucky with my retinopathy, as it's only affected one eye at a time. I had a vitrectomy at Moorfields 3 years ago in my right eye, and it looks like I'm heading that way with my left eye. Both times it's been caused by pregnancy, as that accelerates eye problems - you have to get your eyes checked every trimester when pregnant.

it's been caused by pregnancy, as that accelerates eye problems

Looks like I'm safe then! I was just told by my then consultant that it can easily disappear with tight control. Hopefully things will begin to move that way now I'm on a pump.

Tom

If the floaters aren't pink elephants, then I'm sure a quick check up wouldn't be a bad thing, but yes I agree the Intenet is Evil, it told me I had Diabetes for a start!! about a month before doc would admit it! Hope it clears up but yes I worry about vision myself.

Take care

Rossi 🙂

that happened to me the doctor did not believe me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back