Eye Tests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ok, so whent to Boots today to have my first eye test (after having my retinopothy appointment at the hospital a couple of weeks ago) and I discovered while reading one of the waiting room leaflets that as a diabetic, my sight test is free on the NHS but nothing contributed for the cost of the glasses. Is this right? I need to say now that I honestly dont mind paying for the glasses but as we're encouraged to take special care with our eyes and feet for example (and again podietry is free on the NHS) but what about the cost of the item that will look after my eyes...the glasses themselves? How do others feel about this? Again, i don't mind paying and I dont believe the world owes me, but I was just a little surprised that is the test is free but the product I may need if the outcome of the test is less than acceptable, isn't!

sorry, but you have to pay for glasses - only the eye test is free

Test free, I doubt the glasses are but maybe if you're on benefits or similar you may get some help I have no idea. Test is free every year too, I went along somewhere and they registered me so I wouldn't have to pay and they then tested almost everything!

It reminds me (slightly) of when I did my knees in, I tore my crutiate ligaments (Sp?) on both my knees, one worse than the other, basically running and legs that ain't straight (deviation of angle between lower & upper leg) it was always going to happen, so they would happily break my leg, metal plate it for 6 months so it would then be straight lower leg to upper leg, then nick a bit of hamstring and stitch in some new ligaments! Probably to the order of ten grand, okay this was on private company insurance but I said no thanks (worried if angle of leg changes I would just get different knee problems) so I asked for a ?300 aid, basically a brace for when doing high impact stuff, simple answer NO! There's reason somewhere!!:confused:

just wondering and i understand if you don't want to answer, but how do you feel about this?

I think when the NHS started they quickly discovered that totally free dental and eye treatment was unsupportable fnancially, so they had to start charging for some aspects. I'm lucky in that I just need fairly straightforward reading glasses which I bought for around ?10 from t'internet.

just wondering and i understand if you don't want to answer, but how do you feel about this?

only the test is free My opiticans gave me the lot when i showd them my card ...then 6months later i got a letter from the primary heath care trust FRAUD dept !!! fortunately my opticians wrote to them admitting they had given the wrong info and my FINE was cancelled ...so be careful x

Dan, it's a bugbear of mine. I am very short-sighted, with the added complication of now needing adjustment for reading! I normally wear contact lenses and reading glasses on top. You can get reading glasses, as Northe says, over the counter, Lenses are about ?150 every few years. Because I'm so short sighted, I need glasses as well, for first thing in morning and last thing at night, and when I can't wear lenses. To avoid very heavy glasses (milk bottle bottoms!) I have special glass, which is thinner. Result is - last time a I took up offer of 'buy 1 get 1 free" I ended up paying about ?400! It was only the frames that were a bogof, for which I paid about ?120 for 2, the rest was to cater for my special prescription because I am so short-sighted and have an astigmatism.

I didn't know I could get sight test free as a diabetiec, but get it free anyway because my Mum has glaucoma.

So, I think there should be some allowance. I have delayed renewing lenses and glasses beause of the cost, as I'm not entittiled to additional help because of low or no income.

Although you do have to pay for the lenses and glasses, if you have some old glasses that you like, they can be reused - so you would cut your costs to just the lenses.

If you use a VDU a lot at work - you should be aware of this :

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back