Eye Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chartom3

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When first diagnosed do you always get referred for an eye test? I have noticed that i have been having trouble reading the small writing on tin, packets, etc and just put it down to getting older but now i know i likely have diabetes i am thinking it could be linked.

I just tell my optician I'm diabetic, and depending which county you are in you either get an eye test or the full examination.

Sometimes people eyes change due to blood glucose levels, things can become out of focus if blood glucose is very high but also when changes to diet or starting medication reduces your blood glucose your eyes change as well so things can become out of focus. If you go to the optician tell them you are newly diagnosed as diabetic and they should advice that you should wait for your eyes to settle before splashing out on new glasses. I think you would need to pay for that test.
This is different from the retinal eye screening which people should be referred for and should then have done every 1 -2 years depending on the system where you live. They take pictures of the back of the eyes after putting drops in to dilate the pupils. Again depending on where you live this can be at a designated optician or sometimes a mobile unit of health centre or even your surgery.

NHS Eye tests are free to diabetics, at least every two years, but usually recommended every year, free, by the optician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back