Eye test - what does it involve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I saw my DN today and i asked about the eye test which is part of the diabetic review and she said that i will be called for it in Sept. What exactly does this involve? how does it differ from the annual eye checks which we now get free at the opticians? i had an eye scan last October when i was diagnosed but that was done at the opticians and it was something i chose to have and pay for.

It will most likely be a retinal scan when you go. The procedure varies slightly from place to place, but when I go I am asked to arrive about 10-15 minutes before my appointment time. Drops are put in the eyes to dilate the pupils (must warn you the drops sometimes sting like made). You then wait for the drops to work on dilating the pupils. Then you will be taken into a room and rest your chin in front of a camera and pictures will be taken of your eyes. Sometimes the technician will let you see the pictures, depends who's on and what kind of mood they are in. A couple of weeks later you will get a letter with the results.

If it is very bright, take a pair of sunglasses with you or a wide brimmed hat and don't drive. Use the bus or go with someone else as the drops can affect your vision for several hours afterwards, and the brightness will hurt your eyes. Also remember to tak any prescription glasses you use as sometimes the people there need to check them too.

hi carina ...take the sunglasses even if its not too bright as it certainly will be after xxx good luck

Hi Carina,

It sounds to me as though it is what you had at the opticians and paid for.

As I understand things opticians can carry out the test but many don't have the equipment to take photos for the historical record.

It's no relationship really to the standard eye test.

John

sorry am still confused - my eye scan at the opticians did not involve any drops and having to get someone to drive :confused:

sorry am still confused - my eye scan at the opticians did not involve any drops and having to get someone to drive :confused:

For a proper retinopathy screening, they need to dilate the pupils so that a good view can be obtained of the back of the eye.

I don't know what it is like near you, but the opticians near me no longer provide this service and I needed to get it arranged via my GP.

As already said, the pupils are fully dilated because of the drops. It is then very difficult to keep your eyes open in normal daylight (even worse when it is sunny). Consequently, driving is most definitely not to be tried. You'd be a severe danger to other people as well as yourself.

Andy

For a proper retinopathy screening, they need to dilate the pupils so that a good view can be obtained of the back of the eye.

I don't know what it is like near you, but the opticians near me no longer provide this service and I needed to get it arranged via my GP.

As already said, the pupils are fully dilated because of the drops. It is then very difficult to keep your eyes open in normal daylight (even worse when it is sunny). Consequently, driving is most definitely not to be tried. You'd be a severe danger to other people as well as yourself.

Andy

You don't have to have eye drops, myself and a friend have the test every year at Stirling Hospital for the last 3 years and we've never needed drops. It all depends on your eyes and whether they can get a good picture. I always close my eyes while I wait to be seen, hoping that helps. We do always take a driver just in case. If you can't then tell them you are driving and if they can't get a good picture then re-arrange the appointment.
I'm not sure why they take a picture at the opticians, they don't look at it in sufficient detail to do much and I'm sure they don't compare it to the last time it was done.

Last edited:
Hi my OH had an eye scan at the opticians, but it wasn't the same as the annual retinal scan I have - as the others say, this involves dilating eye drops, waiting while they take effect, then digital photos of retina etc. being taken (painless). This was arranged by GP.

You don't have to have eye drops, myself and a friend have the test every year at Stirling Hospital for the last 3 years and we've never needed drops.

Agreed but, as you say, you can't assume that you won't have the drops, so it's best to be prepared to have them before going to the screening (to avoid any unnecessary delays in having it done).

Andy

Hi Carina

I think the eye test associated with the diabetic annual review will be, as others have said, the annual retinal screening test. I had this done shortly after diagnosis [Feb 2010] and my diabetic nurse said this test will be undertaken once a year every year.

This test was carried out at hospital [retinal screening clinic] and firstly they put drops in my eyes to dilate the pupils [this stung really bad - it was like having shampoo in your eyes!] - they then asked me to wait 15 minutes after which they took pictures of my eyes. And then the results came through in the post about 6 weeks later.

For about 4 hours immediately after the test, my vision was very blurry e.g. i couldn't read a paper; couldn't operate a computer screen; and was also unable to drive. Hence please do plan for these effects i.e. don't drive yourself to the hospital.

My optician has since told me to have my 'normal' yearly eye test [vision test] with them immediately after i've received the retinal eye test results from the hospital [and to bring the retinal screening results letter in with me].

Hope this helps.

Sat

You don't have to have eye drops, myself and a friend have the test every year at Stirling Hospital for the last 3 years and we've never needed drops. It all depends on your eyes and whether they can get a good picture.

That's interesting! Perhaps it is an age thing - the lenses don't adjust so quickly when you're older - hence the need for reading glasses, or perhaps it is one of those things that some clinics do routinely, but don't always need to? I will ask next time I have one - thanks.

Last edited:
No they seem to do the drops automatically, but if you ask them to try without they seem happy with that as well, in and out in 5 minutes.

In my area the retinal scans are done at the opticians. The pictures are then sent to the hospital. Our hospital is saving money so many things like retinal scans are done at local opticians who make money doing it for private patients, so can absorb some of the NHS costs. It is also easier for some togetto the opticians than the hospital. While I am able to get about my options are to get a cab (expensive) or go by bus, which takes time because I'd have to get two there and two back.

Thanks all of you, i have a clearer picture now of what to expect, i'll prob feel a bit nervous for my first one but at least i'll know what to expect in future 🙂

In my area the retinal scans are done at the opticians. The pictures are then sent to the hospital. Our hospital is saving money so many things like retinal scans are done at local opticians who make money doing it for private patients, so can absorb some of the NHS costs. It is also easier for some togetto the opticians than the hospital. While I am able to get about my options are to get a cab (expensive) or go by bus, which takes time because I'd have to get two there and two back.

They do it at the surgery in the next village to me now, which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back