Eye test fee exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laconic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

My eye test is due at Specsavers it’s free if your diabetic, thing is I’m no longer on any diabetic medication.
However still have had a glucoma eye screening test done last month and have my blood sugar checked annually.
I asked my doctors if I’m still eligible for a free eye test receptionist said it still state diabetes on my notes.
I still have an NHS exemption certificate for free prescriptions, valid for another two years even though I don’t take medication anymore, I thought there was a diabetes register of patients who are eligible.
Don’t want to get into trouble for claiming a free eye test that I’m not entitled to

Last edited:
Hi Laconic, I've googled it and got this:

Free NHS eye tests​

You're entitled to a free NHS sight test if you:

• are under 16
  • are 16, 17 or 18 and in full-time education
  • are 60 or over
  • are registered as partially sighted or blind
  • have been diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
  • are 40 or over and your mother, father, sibling or child has been diagnosed with glaucoma
  • have been advised by an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) that you're at risk of glaucoma
It doesn't say anything about being on medication or not, just that you have to be diagnosed. Might be worth asking when you get your eyes tested to make sure that is their understanding too.
Hope it all goes uneventfully, Sarah

Hi all

My eye test is due at Specsavers it’s free if your diabetic, thing is I’m no longer on any diabetic medication.
However still have had a glucoma eye screening test done last month and have my blood sugar checked annually.
I asked my doctors if I’m still eligible for a free eye test receptionist said it still state diabetes on my notes.
I still have an NHS exemption certificate for free prescriptions, valid for another two years even though I don’t take medication anymore, I thought there was a diabetes register of patients who are eligible.
Don’t want to get into trouble for claiming a free eye test that I’m not entitled to
I am type 2 and take no medication but yes just mention when you book you are diabetes and they will give you a form to sign when you go for your test. You should mention to your pharmacist that you are no longer eligible for free medication because if you do get any free they will make you pay back what you owe

I am type 2 and take no medication but yes just mention when you book you are diabetes and they will give you a form to sign when you go for your test. You should mention to your pharmacist that you are no longer eligible for free medication because if you do get any free they will make you pay back what you owe
Hi, I've had a look on the back of the letter I got when I got my exemption certificate/card and it says:
"How long the certificate lasts
Certificates are valid for five years. You can use your certificate until it expires, even if your medical condition changes. You can apply for a new certificate if you still meet the qualifying conditions when your current certificate expires. If you do not renew your certificate after it expires, but still claim free prescriptions, you may have to pay a penalty charge."

I read that to mean that you kept the certificate for the whole 5 years, even if you don't qualify for a new one, but will get fined if you don't pay for prescriptions after it's expired. But that's my interpretation of it. It's probably a question for the NHS Business Services Authority to confirm. I've contacted their customer support people in the past, and they were v helpful.
Cheers, Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back