Eye screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikki

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just had the first eye screening appt since covid but now its at hospital not gp surgery and as this is difficult for me said I would wait until next year but was told its always going to be at hospital in future so is this nationwide?
Its two buses and one mile uphill steep walk for me plus leaving my parkinsons husband alone for apx three hours

Just had the first eye screening appt since covid but now its at hospital not gp surgery and as this is difficult for me said I would wait until next year but was told its always going to be at hospital in future so is this nationwide?
I think it's commonly at a hospital, yes.

My eye screening has moved too. Not to a hospital but to a less convenient surgery.
Covid was blamed but I am sceptical because, unlike many, I did get a scan last year and it was at my local surgery.
I suspect they are saving money by traveling around less.

It varies from area to area, mine has never been at a hospital , my GP surgery, but in many other locations that are not easy to get to without some one driving me there.

Mine were at a eye clinic connected at to the hospital. Might be worth explaining your situation and seeing if there are any alternatives / arrangements that can be made given your situation.

Mine isn’t on a bus route from my house and as I have no one to drive me it’s an expensive taxi or a 90 minute walk. I usually walk one way and get a taxi the other.

Its two buses and one mile uphill steep walk for me plus leaving my parkinsons husband alone for apx three hours
Diabetes eye screening in my area is in a carpark in the middle of nowhere. Roughly a 20 mile round trip and no buses. Other option is a 70 mile round trip to the nearest local hospital.
Ask at your local surgery about volunteer drivers who take people to apts at cost price.

Sorry to hear your eye screening has been moved to a more difficult location for you @vikki :(

I’ve not had a screening appointment since before Covid, but a year or two back the screening service moved from my local surgery to a larger health centre a little further away.

I’ve not been screened at the hospital for years.

As @grovesy says, I think there are differences from place to place.

Hope you can manage to get access to a hospital transport network as Sue suggests to shorten your journey time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back