Eye screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Dunno about everybody else but for the last couple of years I’ve received a letter with an appointment for my annual eye screening at a hospital local (ish) to me. Well this year I got a letter asking me to book my own online. I was amazed at the variety of places that these reviews were being carried out. I assumed my appointment that were made for me would be the closest… So was really pleased to find out I can get it done at my own doctors practice, It’s round the corner, I can walk so don’t need to bother anybody because I can’t drive myself. Just thought it worth a mention

In the nearly 20 years I have never had screening at a hospital. Though the locations I have had mine have been varied, though have never had a choice.

I'm overdue mine so might call the appointment line and ask for closer locations when it does come through. :D

I did get a screening at the opticians when I was in a couple of months ago so they can be as late as they like for a while :D

My last two have been done at a Sports & Social Club. The waiting area (for the drops to take effect) was the bar - wasn’t open though

Mine is always done in a medical centre in the centre of Coventry.
(It's tomorrow as well!)

Yeah ditto - next door to the old Cov & Warwick hospital! Still - that's a lot nearer than Walsgrave for me.
I walked in, and walked back! Stopped off on the way back to get a coffee and a LP. Pretty good service all round, although it did seem that a lot of people hadn’t bothered turning up.

Drops don’t really make my eyesight blurred, maybe make reading a bit more difficult, but far right is not affected at all.

Walsgrave would be a real pain.

Mines always in a church. The nearest one is in a church too but a different church. I go to a further away church that’s on a bus route.

@harbottle - when the Eye Hospital building was still there behind the C&W I had a cyst on my eyelid removed there - went on the bus and came back on it too - BUT they made blooming sure I couldn't get a pair of spectacles on your face, hence I had difficulty seeing out of my other eye - walked up the road to cross over the main road by Halfords and the crossing is entirely unsuitable for pedestrians. Then I couldn't read the ruddy numbers of the buses - complete nightmare and an extremely daft thing for me to have decided to do - but husband was at work, as was I and fiercely independent ......

My letter invites me to call to book. I can go wherever I choose, including the main hospital.

I usually choose the nearest available, just for convenience. Getting the the main hospital is a bit of an unnecessary trek

I got my appointment for February and I thought OMG there must be something wrong as it isn't a year since the last one but it actually is. My how time flies when you're having fun, not, this last year has been a nightmare with all sorts of things.
I think when I first came to Coventry there was an eye hospital near Allesley where the Harvester in now.

My letters have come with a booking ready made at one of the larger local GP practices / health centres in recent years. It used to take place at my little surgery, but they seem to use a variety if bigger ones now. I’m not sure if I could book anywhere further away, but as it’s always pretty convenient for me to get to, there’s no point looking.

It’s many years since my eyes were checked by a consultant leaning in and peering through an ophthalmoscope (before the photos started)!

Ah Cov and Warks. That takes me back! I was in Cov for my degree, so that’s where I went for a short stay when I was diagnosed as a student. All mixed insulin and ‘exchanges’ in those days. :D

My letters have come with a booking ready made at one of the larger local GP practices / health centres in recent years. It used to take place at my little surgery, but they seem to use a variety if bigger ones now. I’m not sure if I could book anywhere further away, but as it’s always pretty convenient for me to get to, there’s no point looking.

It’s many years since my eyes were checked by a consultant leaning in and peering through an ophthalmoscope (before the photos started)!

Ah Cov and Warks. That takes me back! I was in Cov for my degree, so that’s where I went for a short stay when I was diagnosed as a student. All mixed insulin and ‘exchanges’ in those days. :D
I was a student at the Poly between 89 and 92… had a great time, although never expected to end up coming back a few years later to work!

Last edited:
I have no idea about alternatives to 'The Paybody' as I've only lived hereabouts since 1998.

Hang on - Pete might know cos he (and his dad, his bro and his uncle) worked for the Jag (Pete went into the toolroom at the Daimler from school, then went on the line after) so I'll ask him.

Yes! The Paybody was indeed in Allesley - then they closed it as a separate place and moved it into the C & W. He also says there was a Gulson Road hospital too plus where the Royal Court Hotel is in Keresley, which used to be a maternity home. (and th Royal Court had the same carpet in their dining room as me and OH#1 had in our lounge in Kidderminster - Heckmondwike Super Home)

I was a student at the Poly between 89 and 92… had a great time, although never expected to end up coming back a few years later to work!

Sounds like we were there at about the same time! Whoever it was always playing Voodoo Chile in the Mandela Bar, and the distinctive aroma and adhesive floor of the Biko Bar.

Who‘s for a game of pool in the Colin Campbell?

Sounds very similar to me - no choice of time or venue and no longer at the local GP surgery but further away. Thankfully, the new venue is still walking distance for me (about a mile and a half from home) so not too inconvenient. I just have to spend more time in public wearing sunglasses on a rainy day. I embrace my inner Jake and Elwood and keep going. 😎

Sounds like we were there at about the same time! Whoever it was always playing Voodoo Chile in the Mandela Bar, and the distinctive aroma and adhesive floor of the Biko Bar.

Who‘s for a game of pool in the Colin Campbell?

Um, I think that was us. We always played Hendrix, Fraggle Rock, PiL and a few others. I remember getting thrown out of the offices in the SU building when we were doing the rag week because the bylaw meant you couldn't drink alcohol outside the Mandela bar! We kept sneaking back in (I was helping out with the rag society, going round the pubs trying to sell the rag mag - a lot of very unfriendly responses in certain pubs!)

They've just demolished the old block opposite the cathedral (The one with the administration it it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back