Eye Screening - Greater Manchester South

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

Does anyone fall under the NHS Greater Manchester South Diabetic Eye Screening Programme?

In Cheshire (before we moved) all I need to book a an eye test including the screening, was give my NHS number to the Opticians and they would send the details off for my medical record to the relevant screening team and my GP.

I am not sure how it works here. I contacted the south manchester team back in early Jan 2020 for the referral, was told not yet on the system, system updated on a monthly basis might have missed the download. Anyway then lockdown.

They are not very quick at getting back to me. But last week it was confirmed that I am on the list, and it's a long list because of lockdown. I emailed back to find out if they can see when my last appointment was as I know I am overdue, anyway that was April last year so I am quite overdue and my eyes need seeing because they have changed, I can tell.

Thanks,

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I can't help with the specific for your area, but had my appointment for my screening for early April , of course cancelled. My area have a website with information on it for the current state of play. Also the letter I was sent with cancellation was any problems contact optometrist or hospital service . I am seen at a GP'S surgery not my own not even in my city, but neighbouring town, same CCG.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Phoebe - what have you actually noticed has changed about your eyes? and did you have any retinopathy last time the screening was done?

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Phoebe - what have you actually noticed has changed about your eyes? and did you have any retinopathy last time the screening was done?
Not last time but the time before. I’m just not seeing as well with my glasses as I was, they seem to make less difference now and without them I really struggle. Might not be diabetes related.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I would give your optician a call to begin with then.
Yep! - Boots Opticians have even sent me my reminder last week to book my eye test, which I will try doing once I cease being so isolated for being clinically too vulnerable LOL

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think most Opticians have been triaging people and seeing people if needs be. With added precautions.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Will give them a call, thank you

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Opticians would be a good first call.

I posted a link to the NHS England eye screening page where you could apparently book an appointment. It’s here if it helps:

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Specsavers do not offer it as a service at my branch, I will see if any of the smaller ones do

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Opticians would be a good first call.

I posted a link to the NHS England eye screening page where you could apparently book an appointment. It’s here if it helps:

Thanks, but this sent me back to GMS eye screening again ha! Which at least proves I was going about it the correct way, I just cannot believe it’s the right way as it feels complicated

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Not last time but the time before. I’m just not seeing as well with my glasses as I was, they seem to make less difference now and without them I really struggle. Might not be diabetes related.
If you are not seeing as well with your glasses, you need a normal sight test at the opticians - the retinopathy screening won't help with that.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If you are not seeing as well with your glasses, you need a normal sight test at the opticians - the retinopathy screening won't help with that.
Oh yes I know, but normally Specsavers or Boots could do both at the same time, and that’s an easier way for me