Eye screening for T2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A quick question for all the T2s out there. How soon after diagnosis did you get your first eye examination?

I've been diagnosed 11 months and my usually efficient GP practice are quite relaxed about the fact that I've not been called in for eye screening yet - I'm told my annual review is due in December and they'll sort it out if nothing's happened by then.

I'm a bit concerned about that and I'm thinking of writing formally to the practice. My understanding is that T2s should get an eye examination very shortly after diagnosis given the possibility of having being undiagnosed for years.

Hi Cliff
I was diagnosed in June and had my first annual check in August. I was told I would be referred for a retinopathy appointment, but haven't heard anything yet.
I don't know if I have been forgotten, or if it does take ages for an appt, so not sure whether to chase up or not.

Did you not have a full review at your first appointment after diagnosis?
I had my feet checked, BP, Bloods, Weight etc...

Hi Lucy. I've had loads of poking and prodding and a full range of tests, education courses and podiatry, but no eye examination. No dietician either, but I'm not too bothered about that.

I would chase up on it just incase it was forgotten.
I am struggling with blurred eyesight that corrects itself at the moment - but not sure if its the retinopathy appt I need or a trip back to the opticians.
i understand it can be diabetes related,

I had my first retinopathy scan about a year after I was diagnosed, even thoe I kept chasing for it. I think it varies from area to area. As a general rule of thumb (which again is variable) they say wait three months for any medication you have been precribed to start working.

The eye test (the one you have to see if you need glasses or not) is different to the retinal scan, and as it is free to anyone on medication I have that done as well. I try to time it so the retinal scan and the eye test are six months apart, but that is just me, others have a different routinw with it.

I would chase up on it just incase it was forgotten.
I am struggling with blurred eyesight that corrects itself at the moment - but not sure if its the retinopathy appt I need or a trip back to the opticians.
i understand it can be diabetes related,

If your vision is blurry make an appointment to see the opticians. It may be nothing, but as our eye sight is important it is worth getting things checked.

Hi Caroline, I have only recently (May) visited the opticians and been given a new prescription. However only in the past 3 weeks or so I have noticed very blurred vision in the morning (had to ask partner to drive as just didn't seem clear) but it does clear again during the day. - Its a bit strange as if I go to the opticians it might be clear!

Hi Cliff I was diagnosed in feb 09 and by march i had my first screening.

The screening machine comes to my surgery once a year for a few weeks and so I was diagnosed around June and then had the scan the following May.
Since then it has been every May and I then make sure I have an opiticians appointment for a test 6 months later ensuring my eyes are looked at every 6 months.

Caroline - my vision is fine with glasses. My optician says that I have no retinopathy but some odd type of lenticular astigmatism that's definitely D related. That said, the optician doesn't get to see my retinas in the same detail as the hospital eye screeners and I'm concerned at the length of time I've had to wait, particularly when I know now, looking back, that I probably was undiagnosed for at least a couple of years.

I'm Type 1, but really I don't think the type should make a difference except that perhaps, as you suggest Cliff, a Type 2 may have been undiagnosed for longer. I had my first retinopathy scan about 2 months after diagnosis.

Hi Northerner. The difference, as I understand it, is in the onset of the condition. Making broad generalisations here, T1 onset is usually rapid, often with normal HbA1c if tested straight away, and no long undiagnosed period whereas with T2, onset is slow, often undiagnosed for years and the potential for complications being present at the time of diagnosis that much higher.

I have some loss of sensation in my feet according to the podiatrist, even though my control is very good, and naturally I'm concerned about what other damage might have occurred before I was diagnosed.

Insidious sometimes, stupid diabetes :( It's more than likely I was undiagnosed for at least two years prior to diagnosis as I had quite marked symptoms from that time but put it down to other things such as age, depression, alcohol etc. Always thirsty, going to the loo and lost a lot of weight for no apparent reason. When I was diagnosed I asked my GP about possibility of eye problems and she said not to worry as it would normally take around 10 years of poor control to manifest itself. So why have I got to go to the eye hospital because of concern after my recent scan? Grrr!!!

I hope you get something sorted soon Cliff. If you have your normal sight test, then the optician should be able to do a visual check for you as part of the test - some opticians even have the equipment to take the photos and go through them with you.

I hope you get something sorted soon Cliff. If you have your normal sight test, then the optician should be able to do a visual check for you as part of the test - some opticians even have the equipment to take the photos and go through them with you.

Optician says I'm fine, but appreciates that she does not get as good a look as the hospital does - no drops etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back