Eye Laser Surgery question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey2001

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
heres one for you all.

I had my eyes zapped last march (2008) after many years of dithering about it...its not a nice experience i can tell you!!!

Im just wondering if when they check your eyes, would they pick up on anything diabetes related?

Nothing was picked up for me, and obviously i had the surgery and can still see 20/20 (better than my gf who had hers done 4 years ago).

As it is only recently that this has come to light, i wouldnt have mentioned anything to the consultant at the time..

just interested..

thanks 🙂

You will have a referal from your doctor to have special photographs of your eyes. Mine is in a few weeks. Aparently they use some drops to enlarge your pupils for a better photograph.

heres one for you all.

I had my eyes zapped last march (2008) after many years of dithering about it...its not a nice experience i can tell you!!!

Im just wondering if when they check your eyes, would they pick up on anything diabetes related?

Nothing was picked up for me, and obviously i had the surgery and can still see 20/20 (better than my gf who had hers done 4 years ago).

As it is only recently that this has come to light, i wouldnt have mentioned anything to the consultant at the time..

just interested..

thanks 🙂

Hi Phil,

On a normal eyetest an optician may pick up signs of a diabetic complication called retinopathy. If you've had problems with eyesight (hence the surgery!), I would expect you've had regular, normal check ups - so if your optician didn't see anything, then you should be OK.

Once diagnosed with diabetes, as tez says, you will have special photos taken of your eyes (the retina) to check whether you have signs of retinopathy. Like many complications of diabetes, this can take years to develop, so I think it is unlikely that you will have developed this problem since your last eye test.

Hi Phil,

On a normal eyetest an optician may pick up signs of a diabetic complication called retinopathy. If you've had problems with eyesight (hence the surgery!), I would expect you've had regular, normal check ups - so if your optician didn't see anything, then you should be OK.

Once diagnosed with diabetes, as tez says, you will have special photos taken of your eyes (the retina) to check whether you have signs of retinopathy. Like many complications of diabetes, this can take years to develop, so I think it is unlikely that you will have developed this problem since your last eye test.

Northerner - I think Phils eye surgery was the type you have so you don't have to wear spectacles. I would surely think that if there was any sign of problems Phil wouldn't have had it done.

hi guys, thanks for that..i was just curious 🙂

being a contact lenses wearer for years, i had to have my eyes checked regularly, especially as i had a bad flare up of blepharitus last year...

so over the past 18 months, ive been to normal optician (specsavers), laser consultant (eye corrective surgery) and a trip to my local eye hospital to have the blepha confirmed...no one said anything about my eyes being abnormal, apart from the fact that i was abit blind :D lol

i appreciate that none of the eye expects would be looking for diabetes complications initially, just thought it was something worth asking 🙂

...i appreciate that none of the eye expects would be looking for diabetes complications initially, just thought it was something worth asking 🙂

No, the normal eyetest should be looking for signs of diabetes complications, not as thoroughly as a retinopathy expert maybe. It's one of the reasons why people with good eyesight are still recommended to have eyetests regularly.

No, the normal eyetest should be looking for signs of diabetes complications, not as thoroughly as a retinopathy expert maybe. It's one of the reasons why people with good eyesight are still recommended to have eyetests regularly.

Ahh well, thats good they are looking at things like that....its weird when you have your eyes corrected (due to vanity), you never think to go back to the opticians onces youve been given the all clear from say, Ultralase after your 3month check up.

I wonder if anyone else has had the op? if so, how did you find it? It was one of THE most unpleasant experiences of my life, but worth it 🙂

You are lucky you got it done before you were diagnosed as my optician who at first suggested it then informed me (having read my notes more carefully) that because I am diabetic there is no way they would do it.

You are lucky you got it done before you were diagnosed as my optician who at first suggested it then informed me (having read my notes more carefully) that because I am diabetic there is no way they would do it.

MCH i wonder if it has anything to do with you being type 1? i dont know much, im just learning where i can and i know im ignorant on the topic.

Did they give you a reason (apart from being diabetic?)

Sorry, other than the basic diabetic bit, they didn't say so I'm not sure whether or not the type had anything to do with it.
I expect someone else will let us both know.

MCH i wonder if it has anything to do with you being type 1? i dont know much, im just learning where i can and i know im ignorant on the topic.

Did they give you a reason (apart from being diabetic?)

I would imagine that 'being diabetic' was enough to prevent them doing it - they're probably not covered for it should any thing go wrong. There are lots of things that put the 'diabetes' disclaimer on, unfortunately.

I was advised a long time ago (pre diabetes) not to wear contact lenses, they caused too many problems, and I was advised unless it was an emergency not to go for laser eye surgery. Different opticians ans ophthalmic surgeons have different criteria.

I go for a routine eye test annually and for the retinal screening. The retinal screening picks up anything you need to worry about. I cover myself by having the retinal screen and the eye test six months apart, although many people who go to an opticians for the screen have the two done together.

I would imagine that 'being diabetic' was enough to prevent them doing it - they're probably not covered for it should any thing go wrong. There are lots of things that put the 'diabetes' disclaimer on, unfortunately.

I see...sounds like i was lucky then, im sure there are loads of people who have it done not knowing they are maybe type 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back