Eye Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyc1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, So ive had type one for 26 years now and am pretty ok with everything. However i have a problem where both my eyes are very sensitive to bright lights (car head lights , bright sunshine etc etc ) But i have very dry sticky eyes in the morning which most days i can just wipe away the goe ! However every now and then i wake up with a grit like sensation and no matter how much i clean them i can't shift the sensation and this will last the full day. They will water all day and cause may loads of issues. it can be one or the other and sometimes can happen once a week sometimes nothing for 5-6 weeks. Does anyone get anything similar and any ideas of best practice to stop it ?

Many thanks

Visit an optician and they can check you out, sticky muck sounds like an infection and you can buy ointment over the counter for it at a pharmacy. If dry and gritty all the time prob dry eye and an optician can diagnose that.

It sounds a bit like blepharitis for which you can get drops and eyewipes from the optician or pharmacy who should be able to advise you.

Hi @garyc1, sorry to hear about about your eyes. Have you been able to see the optician or you diabetic healthcare team?

I have but not about this issue , trying to get an appointment isnt easy and when i go its cleared up lol

Try heated eye mask. This is exactly how mine felt before I treated them. Look up blocked meibomian glands (not sure I’ve spelt it right) add heat to them for 10 minutes and a time and gently massage. If it is this then this will help

Well we've both used the same optician for about 15 years - used to be Dolland & Aitchison but then taken over by Boots, but still the same bloke! So if I had an eye prob, I'd just go in the shop and say I'd got a prob and could he possibly see me for a couple of mins please? - then plonk meself down and wait.

I have but not about this issue , trying to get an appointment isnt easy and when i go its cleared up lol
You can also pop into a pharmacy as the pharmacist could easily diagnose an infection and offer a solution.

Try heated eye mask. This is exactly how mine felt before I treated them. Look up blocked meibomian glands (not sure I’ve spelt it right) add heat to them for 10 minutes and a time and gently massage. If it is this then this will help
Thank you Emma , Its nice to know im not a one off lol , Will give that a go 🙂

Thank you Emma , Its nice to know im not a one off lol , Will give that a go 🙂
You can also get drops and wipes for belpharis (another dodgy spelling probs) screen time also makes that gritty feeling worse. Let me know how you get on. 🙂

I would also suggest an appointment with an optician. It may cost you, but they should be able to spot any minor problems and if there is anything more serious they can refer you to your local eye clinic. Good luck

This does sound like blepharitis as was mentioned earlier in the thread. To treat it, a pad filled with seeds designed to be warmed up in a microwave is first warmed then placed over both closed eyes. Please be careful not ho overheat the pad and burn yourself! You can get the pads on Amazon. It warms up the sebaceous glands and helps to unblock them. After the warm up, carefully brush along the roots of the eyelashes with a wet cotton bud. I used the sterile saline spray that people use on contact lenses.

I used to have terrible trouble with dry, sore and tearie eyes. It got so bad when I was working in Singapore that I went to see a consultant eye surgeon. After a thorough exam, he told me to take daily Omega 3 capsules. Problem solved: No more dry, sore eyes and no more blepharitis.

Good luck.

I have chronic blepharitis and it does sound like this, as mentioned before. I have heat pads, eye drops and night gel for managing it but sometimes it flares up really badly and I have to be prescribed a 3 month course of tablets when this happens. I would definitely see an optician, I then got referred to opthalmology. Basically it is like having eczema inside of your eyelids and it does need treatment to help it and to keep it at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back