Eye check now every two years????

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyp64

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just had the results back from my latest yearly eye check - all OK except....
Letter now says the check will be every TWO years going forward!
Is this OK or another NHS cutback????

Hi @andyp64. I’ve had the same letter. I’m not happy waiting 2 years, so I’ll be getting my diabetic eye review done at my optician’s every other year.

I assume you are referring to the retinal scan.
The regularity of this has been reduced to every two years if your last test showed no concern.
This guideline was changed some years ago but not all regions have implemented it. I have been pleasantly surprised to receive an invite for the last two years.

We are also entitled to free standard eye tests which I believe are also every two years. However, my optician told me this could be more often if I believed my eye sight had changed.

Last year I was also told that my future eye screening would now be every two years. I wasn't keen on that idea Happily I received my letter for my screening in Feb. It is all so random.

I had my annual retinal eye screening just days before Christmas, got the results just before New Year. No problems so therefore, it said, no test for another two years as I’d had two consecutive screenings without problems. Half of me thinks great, but the other half thinks it’s very short sighted ( pardon the pun) of them especially when I’m no spring chicken and as we know “problems” are more likely as we age. My optician always takes a photo so as long as they don’t change our eye tests to every two years it should be fine. In my opinion they’re trying to save money but it could end up it costing the NHS more in the end if they don’t “catch” any anomalies early.

@eggyg in Bucks, Oxford and Berks routine eye tests are now also every 2 years. But my last optician had a mechanism for ignoring that by me confirming I was insulin dependent and felt my vision was changing. That was 9 months after my previous eye test. There was some form for me to sign, I didn't scrutinise the small print (hadn't got my new glasses that quickly). This is probably England wide now, if not UK.

@eggyg in Bucks, Oxford and Berks routine eye tests are now also every 2 years. But my last optician had a mechanism for ignoring that by me confirming I was insulin dependent and felt my vision was changing. That was 9 months after my previous eye test. There was some form for me to sign, I didn't scrutinise the small print (hadn't got my new glasses that quickly). This is probably England wide now, if not UK.
The form to sign was likely to accept that if no issues, or change in prescription were found, you could be liable to pay for the eye test.

I had an eye test a couple of months ago, because I wanted some reactions lenses (I hadn't had them in my then most recent glasses - spare you the details). Whilst my prescription had changed, it wasn't material enough to NEED new glasses, but no fee was levied. My cynicism thinks it was probably my stated desire for new glasses that swung it.

She did explain clearly.

I think the evidence that was reviewed showed little benefit in annual checks where eyes and diabetes management were fairly stable.

Just trying to take some pressure off the system I guess?

I've had annual checks, so far with no issues, and received an appointment letter just before Xmas for my next one in January, followed by another letter a day later saying the first was sent in error and my appointment was cancelled. Haven't heard anything since so am now wondering whether they're switching to every 2 years locally.

Well, would you Adam & Eve it - post just arrived and I have my next appointment on 31st..! Clearly we are still on annual checks here.

The form to sign was likely to accept that if no issues, or change in prescription were found, you could be liable to pay for the eye test.
I have been asked to sign a form when I go for an optician's appointment every two years.
I believe this is confirming that I am entitled to the free test due to certain medical condition such as diabetes as there is no other check that could use.

Like @Proud to be erratic my optician has told me I could visit more regularly if I felt there had been significant changes in my eye sight.

I have been asked to sign a form when I go for an optician's appointment every two years.
I believe this is confirming that I am entitled to the free test due to certain medical condition such as diabetes as there is no other check that could use.

Like @Proud to be erratic my optician has told me I could visit more regularly if I felt there had been significant changes in my eye sight.

Yes, any change they encourage a visit. I read the form I signed (my background makes me do that), and it was a warning of potential costs, but I was fine with that anyway.

Thankfully, my eye health is decent enough that both retinal screening and optician sight tests (including the additional scan) are suggested every 2 years.

If I want to do something in the interim, I would rather potentially pay for a new sight test than pay for varifocals with coatings, in this case Reactions, then find a short while later my prescription had changed.

I also have had 2 all clears in a row and will now only be screened biennially. However, I do get an annual eye exam from my opticians including a full ocular health check, a visual assessment and an OCT scan under an Eyecare Plan which costs £4 a month and gives me a 10% discount off glasses. They would in any case be the first port of call in the event of any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back