Extreme weather and fasting blood glucose

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoriKG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am currently in Morocco. I have been keeping my fasting levels below 7.2 for 8 months, but with the advent of extremely hot weather, most of my fasting readings are much higher, in the 7.5 to 8 range. Could the stress caused by this hot weeather be affecting my readings? The only other change is I have dropped my exercise routine by quite a bit, but I am still walking at least 8 kilometers, 5 days a week.

I am currently in Morocco. I have been keeping my fasting levels below 7.2 for 8 months, but with the advent of extremely hot weather, most of my fasting readings are much higher, in the 7.5 to 8 range. Could the stress caused by this hot weeather be affecting my readings? The only other change is I have dropped my exercise routine by quite a bit, but I am still walking at least 8 kilometers, 5 days a week.
Hi weather can affect blood sugar in different ways but I don't consider them as particularly had mumbers

Hot weather does seem to have affected people's blood glucose levels. It is more likely to become dehydrated and that can make a difference. Sleep patterns may be different as well and your other routines, food exercise etc.
Make sure you stay well hydrated and hopefully it will settle back.

During the recent UK hot weather I found it very difficult to control my blood glucose.
I know insulin is absorbed faster in hot weather, but I was hypo for most of the two day heatwave.

I adjusted my basal rate (75% lower than normal) with little effect. Eventually I turned the pump off for several hours but was still hypo. I spent an entire afternoon with the pump off consuming ice lollies, ice cream and cold sugary drinks only for my BG to still read 2.5. This was double checked with finger prick testing which confirmed the Libre readings.
BG readings eventually returned to normal in the evening when it was a little bit cooler.
During the day I'd attempted to keep the house cool, following the advice to close windows and curtains and using fans.

Now the weather is cooler my readings have returned to normal. I see another heatwave is forecast in August and want to avoid a repeat performance.
Advice gratefully received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back