Extra 6.5 hours dietary advice improves control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
UK Study Shows That 6.5 Hours Of Additional Dietary Support In A Year Improves Blood Sugar Control In Recently Diagnosed Diabetics

New research from the UK shows that, in patients with recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes, 6.5 hours of additional dietary advice sessions lead to improvement in blood sugar control compared with patients who receive usual care.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/229453.php

Makes perfect sense, you only have to look at the dafne course for type 1's to see how a little knowledge goes a long way.

Most Type 2's don't get anything to help them. A dubious diet sheet, told to lose weight if they need to and also told that testing is a waste of time and an HBA1c is all that is needed. I often wonder if this is how some HCP's would react if it was their nearest and dearest who had just been given a diagnosis or would their approach be different?

A newly diagnosed is in such a state of shock that even the HBA1c means nothing to them, how could it if it is not explained. They are left to flounder and worry and badly need educating at the beginning to ensure that they have all the facts.

Most Type 2's don't get anything to help them. A dubious diet sheet, told to lose weight if they need to and also told that testing is a waste of time and an HBA1c is all that is needed. I often wonder if this is how some HCP's would react if it was their nearest and dearest who had just been given a diagnosis or would their approach be different?

A newly diagnosed is in such a state of shock that even the HBA1c means nothing to them, how could it if it is not explained. They are left to flounder and worry and badly need educating at the beginning to ensure that they have all the facts.

Yes, I think that it is criminal that people can be told they have the disease, with such terrifying potential consequences, and given poor or no advice. It doesn't happen everywhere, so how can the bad ones be allowed to get away with it? No wonder so many become depressed and anxious, resigned to their fate and feeling guilty that they deserve it for not looking after themselves properly. Unfortunately, with the rise in cases and depletion of NHS resources, I fear it is only going to get worse :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back