Extended release Metformin

Joyce2730

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been on the immediate release Metformin for 3 months and havel had a lot more energy while taking it and a reduced appetite but the GI side effects have been awful. I feel pregnant all the time - so sick. I feel unmotivated to take the extended release but know it is doing me good. It all makes me feel a bit depressed. Has anyone had any joy in changing?

I have been on the immediate release Metformin for 3 months and havel had a lot more energy while taking it and a reduced appetite but the GI side effects have been awful. I feel pregnant all the time - so sick. I feel unmotivated to take the extended release but know it is doing me good. It all makes me feel a bit depressed. Has anyone had any joy in changing?
Some people do have a bad reaction to even the slow release version. Taking it mid meal can help. There are alternatives if just dietary changes alone are not sufficient and your HbA1C is high.
Tell us a bit more about where you are with that if you don't mind sharing and what dietary approach are you following.
Diet can be just as important if not more so that medication.

Some people do have a bad reaction to even the slow release version. Taking it mid meal can help. There are alternatives if just dietary changes alone are not sufficient and your HbA1C is high.
Tell us a bit more about where you are with that if you don't mind sharing and what dietary approach are you following.
Diet can be just as important if not more so that medication.
Thanks for your reply. I am now doing much better on the er Metformin. My HBA1C was 52 - I had control with diet and exercise for 4 years but my figures were slowly climbing and my diet was a real struggle. I was struggling with tiredness and a lack of energy. So the GP thought now was the time to start Metformin. However I am totally aware that medication is only a small part of the answer and only tackles the symptoms of diabetes and not the cause. It reduces the figures a bit but the damage continues and if you don't work on diet and exercise you won't get much of a change in hba1c anyway.

I have been given a lot of bad information about diabetes - one nurse told me the only fruit that was safe was apples - so it was the only fruit I ate for 4 years and that made me miserable. It turns out I could have eaten most fruits except perhaps mangos and bananas. I have bought several books on nutrition re diabetes and lived in Google but still find it all a bit confusing. I wish there was a simple guide. I never eat UPF and try to avoid processed food in general.

Thanks for your reply. I am now doing much better on the er Metformin. My HBA1C was 52 - I had control with diet and exercise for 4 years but my figures were slowly climbing and my diet was a real struggle. I was struggling with tiredness and a lack of energy. So the GP thought now was the time to start Metformin. However I am totally aware that medication is only a small part of the answer and only tackles the symptoms of diabetes and not the cause. It reduces the figures a bit but the damage continues and if you don't work on diet and exercise you won't get much of a change in hba1c anyway.

I have been given a lot of bad information about diabetes - one nurse told me the only fruit that was safe was apples - so it was the only fruit I ate for 4 years and that made me miserable. It turns out I could have eaten most fruits except perhaps mangos and bananas. I have bought several books on nutrition re diabetes and lived in Google but still find it all a bit confusing. I wish there was a simple guide. I never eat UPF and try to avoid processed food in general.
Do have a look at this link as it has some very sensible advice in the introduction as well as some menu plans to suit various tastes and budget. I followed the principals rather than the plans per say and reduced my HbA1C for 50 to 42 in 3 months with no medication and I am below 40 3 years on because to low carb is just my new normal way of eating. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
My logic is it is no good eating the foods which increase blood glucose which then needs medication to reduce it. I know some people will need help from medication but they still need dietary changes.
I am pleased you are coping better with the E R metformin.

So are you saying that if I could get my act together with diet I may be able to get down in HBA1C and so off the Metformin. My diabetic nurse looks at me like a lost cause!

Usually type 2s avoid high carb fruits, so stick to those with 'berry' in the name - but as your HbA1c is not a long way into the diabetes range you might well be able to cope with higher carb fruits as long as you are not eating other high carb foods.
The only way to really track how foods affect you is to check after eating, using a meter, as people vary in their ability to cope with different foods.
I got into a dreadful state taking Metformin and Atorvastatin, so have used only diet control for years now. I eat only foods with less than 11% carbs, other than a bit of high cocoa chocolate, which gives me a wide range of things to eat, and it makes what to eat really simple.

So are you saying that if I could get my act together with diet I may be able to get down in HBA1C and so off the Metformin. My diabetic nurse looks at me like a lost cause!
I think it is very possible, there are many on here who have reduced their HbA1C down to normal level from much higher than you are, it depends on how committed you are to making dietary changes.
It is old fashioned thinking that people will never get into normal range, there is a topic on the main DUK site about remission if Type 2.

Back