Exposure to elevated apoB in younger years => increased CVD risk later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Poster from current American Heart Association 2022 scientific sessions:

This study really encapsulates what I take to be the latest thinking amongst lipid experts:

- ApoB particle count is the causal thing for atherosclerosis.

(This correlates with non-HDL cholesterol levels, because every non-HDL particle has one apoB particle. But there can be discordance: eg with metabolic syndrome and T2D you can get smaller LDL particles, so for the same non-HDL cholesterol level you get more LDL particles and hence more apoB particles. So apoB is the best measure, and it's also easy to do, but until that makes it's way into clinical practice, stuck with non-HDL-C measurement as a proxy.

Anyway, better than total cholesterol and much better than "ratios" like total cholesterol/HDL-C and trigs/HDL-C, which these days are generally recognised as clinically irrelevant and not valid treatment targets.)

- What matters is not the snapshot of apoB levels but the total exposure over time. It's like with smoking; the important thing is "pack-years", ie how much & for how long.

- Along with that, the standard 10 year risk assesment is inadequate; what matters is lifetime risk, which is generally a lot higher, and the accumulation of risk starts young.

- So the standard "don't worry until you're over 40" advice you see is misguided.

- In fact, the advice should be, "As low as possible for as long as possible, starting from a young age".

- The study summarised by this poster looked at how total apoB & other particle-count exposures during the ages 19-40 years correlated with new-onset cardiovascular disease after the age of 40.

For every standard deviation increase in total apoB exposure during younger years, the CVD risk in middle age is about 50% higher.

- There appears to be a threshold effect, with an average daily apoB exposure of approx 80mg/dl = 0.8 g/l being the point at which long-term risk increases.

The reference ranges you see are usually something like 0.5 g/l - 1.5 g/l, but at least some NHS trusts, for example, do recognise 0.8 g/l as a risk threshold: https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/severn-pathology/requesting/test-information/apolipoprotein-b

- How that compares with the things you see on a standard lipid panel currently is not exact, but there are empirical models which give estimates which seem to work reasonably well, except when they don't, if you know what I mean.

Eg: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0051607

1667867451881.png

That's in American units, giving apoB in mg/dl = g/l X 100. Different equations depending on whether trigs greater or less than 270 mg/dl = about 3.0 mmol/l.

Multiply TC (total cholesterol) and HDL by 38.7 and trigs (TG) by 88.6 to convert from mmol/l to mg/dl.

I have TC = 2.5 mmol/l, HDL = 1.3 mmol/l and trigs = 0.5 mmol/l and the model estimates my apoB at 34 mg/dl Other similar models estimate it in the range 34 mg/dl - 38 mg/dl.

That's good, but too late to stop me from developing PAD! Curse my misspent youth etc etc.

As another example: Take somebody with LDL = 2.5 mmol/l, HDL = 1.5 mmol/l, trigs = 1.0 mmol/l. Total cholesterol would be 4.5 mmol/l. Few practitioners would see this profile as a problem for an under 40 year old, I think. Also, the "ratios" are good, for those who don't think they are completely irrelevant: TC/HDL = 3.0, trigs/HDL = 0.7. Lots of low carbers would see these as "excellent", I think.

But the models estimate an apoB level for this profile of 81+ mg/dl - 90 mg/dl. So it is likely that a young persion with this profile is slowly accumulating CV risk which may materialise in middle age, and it would be good to jump on it now.

Attachments

• 1667865784028.png
    1667865784028.png
    240.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I've seen a few presentations (By doctors, mainly involved in Low Carb work) on this showing the chemistry - I vaguely recall the root cause is triglycerides and blood glucose interacting with LDL particles to create ApoB particles that can't be taken up by the LDL receptors the body uses to recycle these particles. (As a lot of T2s have poor lipid profiles/metabolic syndrome, it puts them at risk - I certainly did before losing weight, although overall cholesterol was below the limit, it was badly balanced and trigs were quite high.)

I've seen a few presentations (By doctors, mainly involved in Low Carb work) on this showing the chemistry - I vaguely recall the root cause is triglycerides and blood glucose interacting with LDL particles to create ApoB particles that can't be taken up by the LDL receptors the body uses to recycle these particles
Nah. Maybe just some low carber woo-woo.

Ah, no, my mistake, it's a different thing (A different Apo) that is caused by reaction of LDL particles with glucose that has also been linked to problems with arteries.

(Not woo woo, but seems to be a lot of papers/research into it.)

Ah, no, my mistake, it's a different thing (A different Apo) that is caused by reaction of LDL particles with glucose that has also been linked to problems with arteries.

(Not woo woo, but seems to be a lot of papers/research into it.)
If it's to do with LDL or apoB100 oxidation then FWIW I have seen it referred to as a "distraction". Dr Ethan Weiss is a non-woo-woo low carb-ish cardiologist; mentions this in a recent talk with Gil Carvalho on his nice podcast:

oxidized or modified LDL or ApoB. drugs to specifically modulate oxidized LDL independent of overall LDL have all failed. if you have less residence time, if your LDL receptors are upregulated, it's less likely to be modified. monoclonal antibodies against oxidized LDL failed.

But of course you may be talking about something completely different?

I think I saw that presentation some time ago.

To be honest, I've read so much this stuff I can't remember most of it. I just stick with the recommendation and keep Sat. Fats low! The brain is dealing with too much other stuff now and as all the numbers are OK I'm sticking with what I've been doing for a year!

It’s interesting, I’d never ever had my Apo B tested, until this last time at the hospital, when I had bloods to see how the statins were working. Wonder if they are now starting to include it routinely. My level seems fine, but not very informative as I don’t know what it was for the first 65 years of my life!

That last sentence says exactly what an Endo at Kidderminster hospital said to me about 30 years ago, Robin. Everybody should have everything measured in detail when they are young adults bouncing with health to have a yardstick of what's normal and optimal for them - but of course no-one has anything tested until something starts to go wrong - hence trying to rebalance whatever is as much intelligent/informed guesswork as anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back