Experimental weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Did a bit of a test this weekend and went uber-low carb - I normally have about 80 to 120g per day but this time I went hard core! No more than 30g Saturday and Sunday. I'm normally in the 5s pre-meal, and the 6s 2 hours later; my fasting level is all over the place.

Results are as follows:

Saturday brunch fry-up not tested; pre-dinner 4.3; 2 hour post prandial 4.8

Sunday fasting 4.6; pre-lunch 4.4; 2 hour post-prandial 5.1; pre-dinner 4.8; 2 hour post-prandial 4.7.

I have never had a fasting level in the 4s before nor have I ever had a weekend of near perfect results like this.

I don't think I'm quite determined enough to do this long term but I do think the results are interesting. I should point out that I also did a serious gym session on both days so not quite sure how much is attributable to diet and how much to post-exercise decrease in insulin resistance.

Cliff that is really impressive numbers well done you , id carry on going down that route as long as possible as you seem to be reaping the rewards, go Cliff what a great weekend for you x

Cliff: those results are fantastic! i tend to have 30-40g of carbs for my main evening meal (i have less for breakfast and lunch) and they total normally less than 100g per day which i personally think is quite low but i have never had any levels in the 4's. At the moment i am struggling as my levels are creeping up but i think it may be due to me coming down with a cold so will keep an eye on things but i do worry about 'how low can you go' regarding carbs :confused:

Sounds like you had a brilliant weekend. Well done. Now you know what can be done, it is an incentive to do it again if you want to.

Woke up to a 4.1 this morning - lowest reading ever 😱

Got sufficiently concerned I might have a duff batch of strips that I used one with the test solution and it came in perfectly mid-range, so I guess the results are accurate enough.

I don't think my diet this weekend is maintainable long term but I have a few low carb recipe books on order and I'll be exploring this option a little bit more.

great numbers there Cliff, good work, it is hard to keep up a low carb diet (well for me it is) but good to do it now and again, well done you:D

Woke up to a 4.1 this morning - lowest reading ever 😱

Got sufficiently concerned I might have a duff batch of strips that I used one with the test solution and it came in perfectly mid-range, so I guess the results are accurate enough.

I don't think my diet this weekend is maintainable long term but I have a few low carb recipe books on order and I'll be exploring this option a little bit more.

Dear Cliff,

Well done, your results are very impressive. I agree with your statement about not being able to keep it up at such a low level - not many people can, but easing off in your case is hardly a disaster!

Warmest Regards Dodger

easing off in your case is hardly a disaster!

That's true, but having had all sorts of problems pre-diagnosis when my levels were running very high, I'm determined not to go back there. It's nice to have a few tricks up my sleeve to drive things down if my figures reach levels I'm uncomfortable with.

I might do another low-carb weekend soon but without the exercise to see which of the two variables is the most significant.

That's true, but having had all sorts of problems pre-diagnosis when my levels were running very high, I'm determined not to go back there. It's nice to have a few tricks up my sleeve to drive things down if my figures reach levels I'm uncomfortable with.

I might do another low-carb weekend soon but without the exercise to see which of the two variables is the most significant.

Dear Cliff,

Good on you mate - you don't get any prizes for guessing which variable I'm betting is the most influential!

Warmest Regards Dodger

Very impressive numbers there Cliff. Maybe you could try and do a day of very low carbs a week and the rest the reduced carbs that you are currently doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back