Experience with Diuretics

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red C

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All, I am new to the forum and am just seeking other members advice. I have had a bit of fluid retention and my GP put me on a diuretic called Furosemide 20mg starting with 1 a day and now 2 in the morning. The tablets are working and I am no longer retaining fluid but my blood sugar readings have gone up and average of 3 to 4 points in the morning to 2 to 3 points in the evening. When I started with 1 tablet they went up 1 - 2 points but as I increase the dose the blood sugar rose also. Has anyone else experienced this? My Doc knows I am diabetic so I am surprised they prescribed this if it has this effect. Any comments would be really appreciated

Hi All, I am new to the forum and am just seeking other members advice. I have had a bit of fluid retention and my GP put me on a diuretic called Furosemide 20mg starting with 1 a day and now 2 in the morning. The tablets are working and I am no longer retaining fluid but my blood sugar readings have gone up and average of 3 to 4 points in the morning to 2 to 3 points in the evening. When I started with 1 tablet they went up 1 - 2 points but as I increase the dose the blood sugar rose also. Has anyone else experienced this? My Doc knows I am diabetic so I am surprised they prescribed this if it has this effect. Any comments would be really appreciated
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Do you mean that your numbers are up 0.2 - 0.4 or 2 - 4? And what are your BG levels usually?

Maybe call your GP and ask why they've prescribed Furosemide specifically and if there's something better given you have diabetes.

If you are dehydrated your numbers usually go higher so if you are overhydrated (water retention) then I can kind of understand your levels being lower than they might normally be, but that has become the normal for you so you are now seeing these increased levels as being caused by the frusemide when they would likely have been that high if you hadn't been retaining fluid, so the fluid retention has perhaps been masking an inflated BG level rather than the medication increasing it, if that makes sense.
You will need to take steps to reduce your new levels via diet, exercise and medication if necessary. Is there room for reducing carb intake any and/or increasing your activity levels? If not, you need to speak to your GP about increasing or changing medication to improve your diabetes management.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Do you mean that your numbers are up 0.2 - 0.4 or 2 - 4? And what are your BG levels usually?
Hi Colin thank you for your input my BG was 62 in Oct 2020 and 48 in March 2021. My daily levels are usually very stable and I am a real creature of habit and stick to pretty much a very similar diet all the time. The daily levels actually went up by 4.0 points a day!!! I have since received some further information on the diuretic in question and it in known to cause a rise in BS levels and as I said when I look back I can directly corolate the dosage size to the level of BS increase.

Thanks for all your ideas, I have contacted GP who will prescribe an alternative or adjust my meds.

That’s good news about the different meds coming. Hopefully they’ll be better at interacting with the mischievous little diabetes fairy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back