• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes. If you need any information regarding vaccines, they can be found here : Updates: Vaccines
  • Want to share your experiences of the coronavirus pandemic? Take our survey:Covid Healthcare Survey.

Experience of Social Media for people with Type 2

simoneill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've heard from some friends with Type 2 that some social media platforms can be quite negative. I'm trying to find any that might be a more positive place for people with Type 2. I've heard of a US site called Beyond Type 2 - and I generally see positive comments about this forum - but have people had good (or bad) experiences on any other platforms? Many thanks Simon

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve not had anything even vaguely resembling negativity regarding diabetes on social media.
I’m active on Twitter and open about my diagnosis and nothing negative at all.

simoneill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That's really great to hear ColinUK. Neither is very active on SM but have seen comments which have made them a little nervous about posting anything. I've recommended this Forum because it seems to be positive and nicely balanced between T1 and T2 - so it may be that where they have been looking is more T1 focused.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That's really great to hear ColinUK. Neither is very active on SM but have seen comments which have made them a little nervous about posting anything. I've recommended this Forum because it seems to be positive and nicely balanced between T1 and T2 - so it may be that where they have been looking is more T1 focused.

That’s a shame @simoneill

I think there is a huge potential for benefit from the help and support of peers living with the same long-term condition.

Unpleasant behaviour is quite possible in all areas of life, of course, and joining any new group exposes you to some degree of ‘risk’ that people may be nasty to you, or behave in unpleasant ways. So in a sense online interactions are no different to joining any club or group - except that the strangeness and incompleteness of the interaction (no body language, no reading of facial expressions) can leave comments open to misinterpretation. Plus the relative anonymity online can lead some to interact with others online in a way they never would if they were attending a support group face to face.

This was written for a project I am involved in which encourages people to make use of T1 diabetes resources online, which tries to cover some of the basics and would equally apply to T2 groips and resources: