Experience: my microwave nearly killed me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It was the week of my 32nd birthday last September. I had been at a friend's house on Saturday night for some cake and cava. I came home to my flat in Pimlico and went more or less straight to bed. I didn't wake up until the Sunday, when I found myself in intensive care.

I have no memory of it, but I'm told that just after 11pm, about half an hour after I'd gone to bed, my microwave had exploded. It was empty, plugged in and switched on at the mains, as usual. The washing machine, which was beneath it, caught fire from the explosion. The fire spread. The firefighters found me in the hallway – I must have tried to escape. I had passed out because of the carbon monoxide.

They later told me that neighbours had seen smoke coming out of the patio door, and raised the alarm. It took five fire engines five hours to put it out, even though it's just a small one-bedroom flat. Paramedics arrived and resuscitated me in the ambulance: my heart stopped twice.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/08/experience-my-microwave-nearly-killed-me

😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back