Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnarob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone,

Because of the inclement weather conditions here in Norway, I'm unable to walk my 2 collies. They don't mind, as they run around in our large garden. However, I do have an exercise bike and I'm currently doing 3 x 10 min workouts per day and hope to build that up as I get fitter. My thigh muscles are hurting so something must be working! When is the best time to test after exercise? I'm confused whether your levels go up or down after exercise.

Donna

Exercise will make your levels drop quite dramatically. You should test before you exercise and if you are under 7 I'd have peanut butter on whoelgrain toast. Also test straight afterwards to monitor how much you've dropped.

and just to add to the previous post, it would be best to test 2 hours after testing as well.

I'm not sure if it's different for Type 2's, but for type 1s, exercise can affect your blood sugars for 24 hours!

Also, just bear in mind that as you increase your exercise, so will the affect on your blood sugars....they will drop lower, maybe for longer, so just keep monitoring.

Good luck and well done with the exercise!

I think so long as your control is pretty good, I would expect your levels to drop following exercise too. However, I understand from reading things here, that if you start exercising when high (in the teens), then it is possible to go higher still (not too sure why though).

If I was testing after exercise, I'd leave it 15mins or so first and then test. However, if I was feeling 'funny', I'd test immediately.

Regular exercise will increase your sensitivity to insulin, so this is why your levels will fall. As you become generally fitter, your overall levels will fall and the effects of the exercise will continue long after each session. The only thing to beware of, as has been mentioned, is that you shouldn't commence strenuous exercise if your levels are in the high teens. This is because it indicates you are not producing enough insulin to properly process the glucose in your blood and exercise will just increase your levels further in the absence of sufficient insulin. In this case, you have to wait or take only gentle exercise until your levels fall to a more acceptable level. Those injecting insulin are able to simply inject more, but it's a bit trickier for those not on insulin.

Hi Thanks for the response

My first reading this morning was 9.4 which dropped to 8.1 after eating. I then did my first stint of exercise and took the reading after and it was 6.8. Had a snack and then took reading before second bout of exercise which was 7.8 and now after the exercise is 6.1. Still pretty unsure of the numbers but I think it's looking quite hopeful. I am now on 2 x 500mg of Metformin daily having started my second pill only yesterday.

I have a doctor's appointment on 1 December for a check up.

9.4, 8.1, 6.8, 7.8 6.1 I will take a reading before dinner this evening and then 2 hours afterwards. Hope this is right?

Donna 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back