Exercise with Rocker foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Curwood

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with Charcot foot about 9 months ago. I have been in a cast for most of the time since. The bones appear to have settled now but I am left with a rocker foot. I am awaiting some specially made boots. I hope to have my first fitting of them next week. I am concerned that I will no longer be able to walk as far as I used to. For fear of ulcers or damaging the bones again. I would like to cycle again and get back in the gym as I have lost a great deal of muscle strength and definition. Will I ever be able to do these things again?

Hi @Dean Curwood

Glad to hear things are settling down with your foot. It’s a long painful haul with Charcot.

Non weight bearing sports are probably your best bet so cycling is an option likewise swimming. I’ve got a rocker bottom foot where my arch has collapsed down. It’s an ongoing vulnerable area for blisters & ulcers with a lot of pressure going through an area of the foot that was designed to be off the ground.

I’m still in a cast 30 years on as my ankle collapsed so I walk with crutches but if you get some custom made shoes & insoles they should protect the vulnerable areas as much as possible however it remains a high risk foot with vulnerability to skin & bone breakdown.

I’d go gently & ask for advice from your podiatry clinic & gym. I’m sure there will be sports & exercises that you can do without raising the risk & causing damage. Walking is tough on the feet and with a Charcot rocker foot even more so. There’s definitely things you can do but it needs a bit of trial & hopefully no error. Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back