Exercise and BG rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkGeordie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been trying to manage my schedule with my exercise more and I enjoy having a 15 minute steady session on my exercise bike in the mornings, this is before I eat or take any insulin for the food I eat.

However noticing my BG is rising. I have heard this can happen but is there anything I can do?

Is it better to avoid doing the exercise in the morning?

I was trying to keep it out of my evening routine as I didn’t want to incur unexpected hypo later in the night.

Afternoons can be harder as I work part time so not always free in the afternoon.

Do you do your 15 minute exercise before eating breakfast?
I ask because I find I need to eat something (even a handful of nuts or half a tub of yoghurt) in the morning to convince my body that it is not in starvation mode. Otherwise, it will continue to dump glucose to give me the energy it thinks I need.

The other thing to consider is lengthening your exercise. Fifteen minutes may be too short for your muscles to start using up the glucose. The way I look at it is that there are two things our bodies do when we exercise
- dump glucose
- start using it more efficiently
The second takes longer to happen which means that for 15 minutes or so, our levels can rise. For me, 20 minutes of exercise is enough to lower my levels.

Finally, if you have just started this regime, your body is not used to it so goes into a bit of stress and ... you've got it ... dumps glucose. Over time, this reaction may become less.

My main advice would be don't give up.

Yes I was doing it before breakfast.

I will try your tips and see how I get on.

Good luck @MarkGeordie .
Tell us how you get on.
We are all different but the more data points newbies have the better their start.

Just another thought Mark
Could you swap exercise and breakfast over. I know it would be a change to schedule, but I know that for me 15 min exercise after a meal is very useful for reducing post meal spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back