Exercise advice 'unrealistic' say experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Researchers say current exercise guidelines are unrealistic and argue that doctors should sometimes advise small increases in activity instead.

They warn the 150-minute weekly target is beyond the reach of some people - particularly older individuals.

And striving to reach these goals could mean the benefits of lighter exercise are overlooked.

But public health officials say current recommendations have proven benefits in lowering the risk of heart disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30915437

Guidelines are just that, guidelines! They are not limits or demands. Clearly, people need to apply common sense to determine what is possible for each individual.

The 150mins for many people would be a realistic and reasonable target though (I try to do 60mins of brisk walking every day. But that is what I am able to do and realise that it is not feasible for everyone).

If anyone had told my grandparents that 150 minutes exercise was an unrealistic target, they wouldn't have resorted to swearing or physical violence, but would have got close. Until weeks before Grandad's death in his late 80s and Grandma's in her mid 90s were both walking lots, either to shop / PO / village halls for whist drives etc, or pure enjoyment walks round footpaths, not avoiding stiles, plus Grandad spent hours gardening and woodworking, plus he climbed ladder to clear leaves from gutters etc. Grandma dealt with food preparation, using a ground floor freezer and store room, so lots of stair trips each day, as they lived on first floor. When Grandad had a leg wound that needed regular dressings, the district nurse was always happy to see him walking with stick as only concession to temporary issue.

I have always thought some exercises was better than none at all!

When I was an Apprentice. I had a week at work when I did 120hours & 15mins 😱 Lots of nights till 8 & sat /sun. We are getting soft 🙂

If I thought it was going to do me good I would double double the hours 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back