Excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dexcom parcel is being delivered between 12.45&13.45 today so I can definitely make sure I am in.

As sensor takes 2hrs apparently to warm up I am thinking, so I can get a full days readings tomorrow, to set it up so the 2hrs starts at 10pm.

If I am in bed asleep assume best place for the receiver is on bedside table . If at work it can be on my desk, shower on sink nearest the shower.- all of these places should be within 6 metres of the sensor.

Is there anything else I need to know. I really want this to work for me.

What is the newest Samsung that is on the compatibility list for if and when I get around to changing my phone.

Don’t panic if the reader gets to be a little further away from the sensor for a while. (eg if you went swimming and kept the reader in your locker)

The sensor will store several hours of readings that will be synced with the reader when the connection is re-established.

You will most likely get a ‘signal loss’ error displayed, but the reader and sensor should find each other again in a few minutes.

Hope you get on well with it, and it helps you to monitor your levels without stressing you out.

Don’t panic if the reader gets to be a little further away from the sensor for a while. (eg if you went swimming and kept the reader in your locker)

The sensor will store several hours of readings that will be synced with the reader when the connection is re-established.

You will most likely get a ‘signal loss’ error displayed, but the reader and sensor should find each other again in a few minutes.
That's good to know thank you.

Would as I have purchased the reader be better sticking with it rather than getting a phone that is compatible with the app if I choose to continue with Dexcom One?

If you have the reader, then I think it takes the pressure off your phone decision.

You already have a separate device that can act as your CGM receiver, so no need to worry if your phone os compatible.

When it next comes to choosing a phone, you might aim for one that will work with the OS you are choosing… or you can just go with whatever phone you prefer and keep using the separate reader 🙂

If you have the reader, then I think it takes the pressure off your phone decision.

You already have a separate device that can act as your CGM receiver, so no need to worry if your phone os compatible.

When it next comes to choosing a phone, you might aim for one that will work with the OS you are choosing… or you can just go with whatever phone you prefer and keep using the separate reader 🙂
Thank you. How long do the receivers last? Are they rechargeable?

My Dexcom parcel is being delivered between 12.45&13.45 today so I can definitely make sure I am in.

As sensor takes 2hrs apparently to warm up I am thinking, so I can get a full days readings tomorrow, to set it up so the 2hrs starts at 10pm.

If I am in bed asleep assume best place for the receiver is on bedside table . If at work it can be on my desk, shower on sink nearest the shower.- all of these places should be within 6 metres of the sensor.

Is there anything else I need to know. I really want this to work for me.

What is the newest Samsung that is on the compatibility list for if and when I get around to changing my phone.
A small further observation from the replies so far: the sensor might be best fitted to your arm, abdomen or wherever you choose today, BUT not activated until tomorrow, ie don't start the 2 hr warm up until tomorrow. This simply allows your body to accept the "intrusion" of a foreign object, ie the sensor, and get over the "trauma" (in the mildest sense of that word).

Even a splinter or thorn while gardening is a potential trauma to your body, so trauma is a normal response and most of the time we are oblivious to these things, as we are when we fit sensors. But our body potentially takes it seriously and doesn't necessarily make you aware that it is "doing its normal thing" and managing that trauma.

If the volume control on your reader is possibly too low for you at night (my Libre Reader is) you could just place it on top of a small plastic carton or similar and that will amplify the reader volume. I use a former low height food carton, which is fine by night. When I'm gardening I place my reader in an old enamel mug, which protects it, makes it easy to find and thoroughly amplifies! Lots of alternative ideas, of course.

Good luck.

Thank you. How long do the receivers last? Are they rechargeable?
Recharge roughly every 3 days, My receiver has been going for about 3 years now. (G6)

Hope you get on well with it, and it helps you to monitor your levels without stressing you out.

A small further observation from the replies so far: the sensor might be best fitted to your arm, abdomen or wherever you choose today, BUT not activated until tomorrow, ie don't start the 2 hr warm up until tomorrow. This simply allows your body to accept the "intrusion" of a foreign object, ie the sensor, and get over the "trauma" (in the mildest sense of that word).

Even a splinter or thorn while gardening is a potential trauma to your body, so trauma is a normal response and most of the time we are oblivious to these things, as we are when we fit sensors. But our body potentially takes it seriously and doesn't necessarily make you aware that it is "doing its normal thing" and managing that trauma.

If the volume control on your reader is possibly too low for you at night (my Libre Reader is) you could just place it on top of a small plastic carton or similar and that will amplify the reader volume. I use a former low height food carton, which is fine by night. When I'm gardening I place my reader in an old enamel mug, which protects it, makes it easy to find and thoroughly amplifies! Lots of alternative ideas, of course.

Good luck.
Hi thank you. So apply the sensor and transmitter but don't start it on the receiver until the morning is that what you mean? This won't cause an issue with the receiver.

I'm not sure if I misunderstood the guy from Dexcom or not; I thought I would receive only one transmitter and sensor and the receiver but I appear to have two transmitters and two sensors wondering if I should check that is what I should have received or keep quiet as I have paid for it. The sensors last 10 days and the transmitters 90 days each so presumably one transmitter would be used for both sensors in the pack and I would have to order more sensors until the first transmitter ran out

I don't have any over patches except the ones I got when I was using the Libre 2 would these be okay?

Regarding the volume on my receiver if my husband is working 10pm to 6/7am it's not an issue although I don't want my alarms waking up my daughter so being on vibrate is a better option for a when my husband is not working nights.

Recharge roughly every 3 days, My receiver has been going for about 3 years now. (G6)
That's good to know. Do you not have a compatible phone hence a receiver or do you prefer the separate receiver even if your phone was compatible.

I'm hoping that this works. If I change my phone I may still use my receiver. Is it okay in one's coat pocket or on a desk (work) or sink nearest to the shower? Although someone said it updates if the receiver was off or not nearby.

Hi thank you. So apply the sensor and transmitter but don't start it on the receiver until the morning is that what you mean? This won't cause an issue with the receiver.
Because we are all feeling our way onto Dexcom One I suggest play safe and fit the sensor today, then attach the transmitter tomorrow. Its the sensor that is intruding into your body. My instinct is that it would be safe to fit the transmitter as well, but play safe this first time.
I'm not sure if I misunderstood the guy from Dexcom or not; I thought I would receive only one transmitter and sensor and the receiver but I appear to have two transmitters and two sensors wondering if I should check that is what I should have received or keep quiet as I have paid for it. The sensors last 10 days and the transmitters 90 days each so presumably one transmitter would be used for both sensors in the pack and I would have to order more sensors until the first transmitter ran out
I'd certainly expect the transmitter to provide 90 days coverage and thus more than one sensor. I don't know if the 90 day clock starts once you do the first activation and then runs for 90 days, whether or not there is an active sensor in place. Perhaps you have a handbook with your pack? Or no doubt you could ask Dexcom by phone?
I don't have any over patches except the ones I got when I was using the Libre 2 would these be okay?
Sorry, I've never used or needed over patches, but I suspect the Dexcom shape is different. But trial and error?
Regarding the volume on my receiver if my husband is working 10pm to 6/7am it's not an issue although I don't want my alarms waking up my daughter so being on vibrate is a better option for a when my husband is not working nights.
Good point, I actually have my Libre reader on vibrate only at night and frequently forget to switch on volume by day. The plastic tub certainly amplifies the vibration and has never woken my wife! But when our children were small I had the "mother's ears" and always woke to do the first response for a disturbed child; I still don't know if I was conned all those years ago!! I do know that as they got older and walked into our bedroom they always came to my side of the bed first - they'd become "conditioned" to expect me to respond. And this still applies with our grandson!

Because we are all feeling our way onto Dexcom One I suggest play safe and fit the sensor today, then attach the transmitter tomorrow. Its the sensor that is intruding into your body. My instinct is that it would be safe to fit the transmitter as well, but play safe this first time.

I'd certainly expect the transmitter to provide 90 days coverage and thus more than one sensor. I don't know if the 90 day clock starts once you do the first activation and then runs for 90 days, whether or not there is an active sensor in place. Perhaps you have a handbook with your pack? Or no doubt you could ask Dexcom by phone?

Sorry, I've never used or needed over patches, but I suspect the Dexcom shape is different. But trial and error?

Good point, I actually have my Libre reader on vibrate only at night and frequently forget to switch on volume by day. The plastic tub certainly amplifies the vibration and has never woken my wife! But when our children were small I had the "mother's ears" and always woke to do the first response for a disturbed child; I still don't know if I was conned all those years ago!! I do know that as they got older and walked into our bedroom they always came to my side of the bed first - they'd become "conditioned" to expect me to respond. And this still applies with our grandson!
Thank you. I will apply the sensor tonight then affix the transmitter tomorrow. Regarding my receiver I will set it up but hoping that it is ok (you have to put the sensor number) and presumably until I attach the transmitter it's not active.

I will give Dexcom a call and ask is 90 days from activation of first sensor ie fitting transmitter or 90 days even if no sensor being used.

Transmitters (on G6) last around 112 days

I’ve been using Dex for a few years, and have never found it necessary to wait a day after insertion.

In fact, as i restart my sensors (i could not afford to self fund them otherwise) I can see that a sensor which has been in-situ for 10 days can have plenty enough of a ‘newly applied’ wobble after its second warm up, even though it has been performing steadily for days!

Transmitters (on G6) last around 112 days

I’ve been using Dex for a few years, and have never found it necessary to wait a day after insertion.

In fact, as i restart my sensors (i could not afford to self fund them otherwise) I can see that a sensor which has been in-situ for 10 days can have plenty enough of a ‘newly applied’ wobble after its second warm up, even though it has been performing steadily for days!
I'm going to be using Dexcom One not G6. Realise that not much different except the number.

Out of interest how do you restart your sensors? Is it different to Libre whose sensors can't be restarted once finished.

Out of interest how do you restart your sensors? Is it different to Libre whose sensors can't be restarted once finished.

Stop the sensor.

Carefully prise out the transmitter (you need to push something thin and semi-flexible where the little lugs are at the thicker end of the transmitter where it seats into the sensor).

Place it in a different room for 10-15 minutes.

Go through the ‘start sensor’ routine as if you’d just inserted it, including the code that was on the original packaging.

Apply an overtape (as the adhesive is probably giving up after the 10 day wear).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back