Excessive sweating ?

Misunderstood

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey all.. just trying to work out why I sweat so much.

It seems more since becoming diabetic.

Could it be a side effect of your meds @ME3 ? Presumably you test to make sure it’s not blood sugar related?

My bloods were fine, I had a really bad hypo last night.

So they were by NO means 'fine' then! What caused the hypo? You DO always need to assess 'why' in an effort to prevent same happening again - for the rest of your life, PITA though that is.

So they were by NO means 'fine' then! What caused the hypo? You DO always need to assess 'why' in an effort to prevent same happening again - for the rest of your life, PITA though that is.
Must be wonderful being perfect!

Daft question, but could it just be the awful, clammy heat? Although it was rainy and grey where I was yesterday, I felt almost suffocatingly hot at some points.

You asked about it being connected to diabetes - I’m not 100% sure but I thought I read that a lack of sweating can be connected. Something to do with the autonomic nervous system, I think.

Sweating is one of my symptoms of nastier hypos, but I’ve not noticed any increase in perspiration generally apart from that.

I think sweating comes under the autonomic nervous system, and there is a form of neuropathy which can impact some of those functions over a long period of diabetes

Might be worth getting checked out @ME3

Last edited:
I get hot and sweaty and restless during the night when my levels are above 8. I usually get cold sweats if I have a bad hypo. Of course it doesn't help that the weather is hot and humid and that makes lying in bed a bit hot and uncomfortable. Throw the duvet off and you are too cold, pull it up and you are too hot. 🙄

If you are having regular hypos then you need to try to work out if they are caused by too much basal insulin or too much bolus and try to work out why it was too much? ie. Had you been extra active that day and perhaps a reduction in basal insulin would have been a good idea depending upon which basal you use OR going to bed with your levels higher than usual if you didn't want to adjust your basal (long acting) insulin. Or if the hypo was within 4-5 hours of a meal, did you perhaps miscount the carbs in the meal or perhaps miscalculate the dose or were you perhaps active after the meal causing your body to be more sensitive to that meal time insulin. Or if you frequently have hypos at the same tie each day/night, is your basal dose simply too big? Many of us find we need less basal insulin in the summer than the winter months because of the ambient temperature. For instance, my basal insulin is Levemir and generally in the winter I need 22 units in the morning and anywhere between 0 and 5units at bedtime, depending upon how much exercise or activity I have done. I am currently only needing 20 units in the morning in this hot weather and somewhere from 0-3units at night, depending upon how active I have been over the past few days. More exercise means less basal insulin at night for me.
It could be that you need to adjust your meal time ratios during the summer when it is warmer and that works for you rather than adjusting your basal doses as I do. We are all different and you have to find the adjustments that work for you and your body, to prevent regular nasty hypos as much as you can and also prevent levels going too high of course. Most of this adjusting I learned from people on this forum and from experimenting on myself, until I could see what works for me and my body and my lifestyle and I feel so much more confident of managing my diabetes as a result because that knowledge has given me the power to manage my diabetes well. Yes, I still have the very occasional nasty hypo when I get it badly wrong, where I get a bit shaky and sweaty but mostly I can just pop a jelly baby or two in my mouth and crack on with what I was doing and those minor hypos have very little impact.

The more time I put into learning and experimenting, the better I get at balancing things and the easier and more intuitive that balancing becomes, so the less brain power it needs. The other advantage is that the more stable your BG levels are, the better it is for your mental health. I had a bad day last week where I got it wrong and I was amazed at how the rollercoaster of up and down BG levels impacted how I felt emotionally. It was horrible! I think I noticed it much more because I had had about 3 weeks of really smooth sailing with my levels when my basal doses were just right and everything made sense but then I tried to drop it by another 2 units and it was a bad decision and I spent all that day fighting highs and then low levels and feeling really anxious and out of control. I went back to my previous dose the next day and everything was back to smooth sailing again. Phew!

I really hope that you can learn from the good people on this forum like I have and find some more stable diabetes management, which should help enormously with your mental health too.

Back