Excess Protein

Status
Not open for further replies.

indio02

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with T2 about 2 months ago. From that moment I've been much more careful about what I've been eating. I also started a diet on 1st Jan 2023 along with exercise. To date I've lost about 2.5 stone. Need to lose another 2 stone to get to doctors recommendation.

I had a urine test on Monday and I've just got the result via a txt which says it "shows rather a lot of protein which can be an indication of poor diabetic control"

Not sure how worried I should be in light of my current supposed healthy diet and exercise. Feeling pretty crap all round really. :(

Personally I'd not be too worried and look at the HbA1c result which I guess you don't have as yet?

Once you get that you can see how good or not your "diabetic control" is and then maybe ask for some more tests if that isn't the cause of the elevated protein in the urine.

Edit to add what kind of diet have you been following to lose the 2.5 stone (very well done on that by the way!).

Sorry to hear you’ve had a result flagged in your results @indio02

First of all, huge congratulations on your weight loss - that’s terrific, and will be helping hugely. Try not to get too knocked back by a dodgy result. It’s just information to guide your way forward, it’s not a gauge of your effort. And some levels amd results can wobble about a bit when you make big lifestyle changes.

From my limited understanding I think this is likely to be ‘microabinuria‘. The way it was explained to be the kidneys act like a fine mesh bag filtering various things from urine before it is passed including tiny fragments of protein - microalbumin.

High glucose levels can ‘perforate’ the fine mesh in some spots allowing some of the protein to leak through. The more holes, the more microalbumin can be detected.

I’ve had raised levels in the past, that have settled back down to ‘normal’. So it doesn’t always seem to be a one way street?

Keep doing what you are doing, and if you are worried by the results ask your Dr specific questions about what you should do to improve things (which is likely to involve careful management of blood glucose and blood pressure, but may also include ”don’t eat too much x, y or z”)

I was diagnosed with T2 about 2 months ago. From that moment I've been much more careful about what I've been eating. I also started a diet on 1st Jan 2023 along with exercise. To date I've lost about 2.5 stone. Need to lose another 2 stone to get to doctors recommendation.

I had a urine test on Monday and I've just got the result via a txt which says it "shows rather a lot of protein which can be an indication of poor diabetic control"

Not sure how worried I should be in light of my current supposed healthy diet and exercise. Feeling pretty crap all round really. :(

What diet did you decide on?

What diet did you decide on?
Pretty much the same as I've always been on but the amount I eat cut by a quarter. Strange as it sounds in this day and age I don't eat processed/ultra-processed food. Its not a finger wagging thing more that I've never gotten a taste for it. Even as a child my parents both good cooks, cooked from scratch using real ingredients.
In terms of my weight loss I've really ramped up my exercise... starting with 5 miles (1 mile a day + 2 rest days) the first week of January to about 50 miles a week now.

Sorry to hear you’ve had a result flagged in your results @indio02

First of all, huge congratulations on your weight loss - that’s terrific, and will be helping hugely. Try not to get too knocked back by a dodgy result. It’s just information to guide your way forward, it’s not a gauge of your effort. And some levels amd results can wobble about a bit when you make big lifestyle changes.

From my limited understanding I think this is likely to be ‘microabinuria‘. The way it was explained to be the kidneys act like a fine mesh bag filtering various things from urine before it is passed including tiny fragments of protein - microalbumin.

High glucose levels can ‘perforate’ the fine mesh in some spots allowing some of the protein to leak through. The more holes, the more microalbumin can be detected.

I’ve had raised levels in the past, that have settled back down to ‘normal’. So it doesn’t always seem to be a one way street?

Keep doing what you are doing, and if you are worried by the results ask your Dr specific questions about what you should do to improve things (which is likely to involve careful management of blood glucose and blood pressure, but may also include ”don’t eat too much x, y or z”)
Thanks..... am having a bad week! What appears a constant stream of bad health news isn't helping. Will focus on my getting my next blood test healthy!

Pretty much the same as I've always been on but the amount I eat cut by a quarter. Strange as it sounds in this day and age I don't eat processed/ultra-processed food. Its not a finger wagging thing more that I've never gotten a taste for it. Even as a child my parents both good cooks, cooked from scratch using real ingredients.
In terms of my weight loss I've really ramped up my exercise... starting with 5 miles (1 mile a day + 2 rest days) the first week of January to about 50 miles a week now.

Indio, do you test your blood glucose by finger prick tests? That can really help us fine tune what we do and don't need to be eating in terms of our diabetes. I know when I started testing I found, quite quickly, that some foods I previously thought were healthy and good for me, were in fact not my friends.

It might be helpful for a period at least.

Indio, do you test your blood glucose by finger prick tests? That can really help us fine tune what we do and don't need to be eating in terms of our diabetes. I know when I started testing I found, quite quickly, that some foods I previously thought were healthy and good for me, were in fact not my friends.

It might be helpful for a period at least.
No, about 7/8 years ago I had a scare and sort of convinced myself I had diabetes. Being terrified of the needles in a blood test I bought a glucose pin prick thingy(?!) but then found out the test strips where massively expensive. That finally got me to the doctor who confirmed I didn't have diabetes at that time.
It was suggested that you can get the test strips on the NHS but can't find any information. Would happily use if I could get one. Any advice appreciated

No, about 7/8 years ago I had a scare and sort of convinced myself I had diabetes. Being terrified of the needles in a blood test I bought a glucose pin prick thingy(?!) but then found out the test strips where massively expensive. That finally got me to the doctor who confirmed I didn't have diabetes at that time.
It was suggested that you can get the test strips on the NHS but can't find any information. Would happily use if I could get one. Any advice appreciated
As a Type 2 if you are not on medication which could cause hypos (low blood glucose) then it is unlikely your GP will prescribe them so many self fund a valuable tool in managing their diabetes. A couple with the cheapest test strips are the GlucoNavii or Spirit TEE2 on line but worth shopping around as prices seem to be fluid. Usually cheaper on line than the pharmacy. You normally get a few lancets (which can be reused) and a few strips in the kit so should buy more at the outset, they are specific to the monitor.

Being terrified of the needles in a blood test I bought a glucose pin prick thingy(?!) but then found out the test strips where massively expensive.
If you need to self fund your BG meter, the most affordable meters (and still reliable) that members here have found are the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit Tee2 - which both have test strips at around £10 for 50. Some brands can be 3x that!

Had a look in Boots (the only place that seems to do BGM's) and found they were massively expensive compared to Amazon ie 3 times the price! Have ordered from Amazon and items will be delivered on Thursday. Went for the GlucoNavii kit plus 100 extra strips.

Are there any resources to show how and when to use it and more importantly how to interpret the results into actionable results?

Had a look in Boots (the only place that seems to do BGM's) and found they were massively expensive compared to Amazon ie 3 times the price! Have ordered from Amazon and items will be delivered on Thursday. Went for the GlucoNavii kit plus 100 extra strips.

Are there any resources to show how and when to use it and more importantly how to interpret the results into actionable results?
Brilliant you have ordered one, there should be an instruction leaflet with it but there are plenty of YouTube videos on finger pricking technique.
People use their monitor for a number of purposes but always make sure you gain useful information and keep good records to get the most benefit.
People test their morning /fasting level to check progress day to day, week to week and are aiming at 4-7mmol/l, It is unlikely it will be anywhere near that to start with.
People also test to find what foods/meals they can tolerate by testing before you eat and after 2 hours aiming for no ore than a 2-3mmol/l increase and as levels come down no more than 8-8.5mmol/l after 2 hours. You will be aiming at 4-7mmol/l before eating.
People also test if they feel unwell as that may be indicative of high blood glucose or indeed low blood glucose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back