Excersise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello again all

I've decided I want to start excersising more. But I can't afford to go to the gym and as we all know, I have serious confidence issues so swimming is out of the picture (even though i looooooooooove it).

I think I'm just going to start by walking. I walk anyway, but I've read in my new copy of 'diabetes for dummies' that a good way to start is by walking 10,000 steps a day. So I'm thinking of buying myself a cheap pedometer, just to have a play and see how much I'm doing throughout the day.

I really want to get myself fit and healthy like I used to be. I used to be running around all the time, swim and do karate. Now though, I'd rather sit in and read or play the playstation :(

Anyone got any other ideas? Gardening is a no as we don't have a garden, i cant afford the gym, have issues with swimming. Seems as if walking is gunna be the only option!

Hello again all

I've decided I want to start excersising more. But I can't afford to go to the gym and as we all know, I have serious confidence issues so swimming is out of the picture (even though i looooooooooove it).

I think I'm just going to start by walking. I walk anyway, but I've read in my new copy of 'diabetes for dummies' that a good way to start is by walking 10,000 steps a day. So I'm thinking of buying myself a cheap pedometer, just to have a play and see how much I'm doing throughout the day.

I really want to get myself fit and healthy like I used to be. I used to be running around all the time, swim and do karate. Now though, I'd rather sit in and read or play the playstation :(

Anyone got any other ideas? Gardening is a no as we don't have a garden, i cant afford the gym, have issues with swimming. Seems as if walking is gunna be the only option!

I could have written that myself !! Except to add that I HATE exercise!! I've started walking 3 days a week, even though I detest it and my feet are killing me afterwards, and do things like parking at the far end of the supermarket car parks etc., but that's it. Oh, and the odd bit of Mr. Motivator 😉

It's that vicious circle thing of needing to exercise cos of being obese (hate that bl**dy word!!), but being obese makes it harder to exercise........ I know it sounds like an excuse, but it's a bit tricky with dodgy hips knees and ankles, not forgetting back!! Yes, all caused by excess weight in the first place........

I thought the same as you, about the pedometer, as I saw on a TV programme last week that you should be doing at least 10,000 steps a day, and I wondered how many I do - nowhere near that amount, I don't suppose, so it would be interesting to see how much I have to up it to reach the official guidelines.

Ooops, sorry, hun, I've added nothing constructive here, just had a good moan!!😱

xx

Me and the dog go walkies every day for an hour, weather permitting. There's an exercise bike in the house as well, but I haven't tried that yet. I've been thinking of buying a pedometer too but haven't got around to it so far.

Lol, if only 'thinking about it' was a valid form of exercise, eh?? :D

xx

Exercise videos! haha im addicted to them now. The best thing about them is you do it in your own home so wont feel self-conscious :D

I definitely think this is the way forward for me............ and just think of all the choice we'll have come January........... :D

xx

Pedometers are cheap enough that isn't a problem. If I remember correctly I bought mine for about ?15 on Amazon. However, you ought to be aware that 10,000 steps per day is a lot of walking. You'll need to have loads of time on your hands to achieve that target on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Sam, i have a treadmill so really have no excuse not to excercise.

But somehow i still manage to find some, like today. Cant excercise this afternoon because.........going out with the inlaws tonight and have already done hair with straighners and everything and if i excercise would have to do my hair again 😱

I cant believe myself sometimes, so LAZY! :(

i love walking with our dog in the fields - great exercise 🙂 and sometimes i skip for maybe 10-15 mins. i did go to the gym which i guess was kinda boring - find something fun to do and it wont be a chore. u like playing the playstaion - why not get wii fit or something.

I definitely think this is the way forward for me............ and just think of all the choice we'll have come January........... :D

xx

lol yeah. Im loving these dvds: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...nute+solutions+dvd&sprefix=10+minute+solution

You can mix and match the 10 minute sessions you could do 30 minutes worth of exercise or 50, or just 10 if you dont have much time that day or if you aren't used to doing it.

Ive got the yoga one. Wouldnt recommend it for anyone who is very overweight as the heavier you are the more impossible the poses are! Also it's better for toning than weight loss. Ive got the latin dance, target toning and pilates one on order so i'll let you know what they are like :D

I would definitely recommend boxercise for weight loss.

Sam, i have a treadmill so really have no excuse not to excercise.

But somehow i still manage to find some, like today. Cant excercise this afternoon because.........going out with the inlaws tonight and have already done hair with straighners and everything and if i excercise would have to do my hair again 😱

I cant believe myself sometimes, so LAZY! :(

I would love a treadmill! I have a horrible exercise bike but I hate using them, even the ones at the gym that are much smoother. One day i'll be able to afford one lol.

Me too!! But sadly no room. My sister was giving one away (a really good one, too) when she moved house recently, but I couldn't take it!!

Woo, 10 minute solutions sound perfect for me, thanks for that link Katie!!

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back