Exanatide

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMalc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am a T2 who has just been prescribed exanatide (as I have not been as good a diabetic as some on the forums) as the next phase in my BS control.

I have no issues with the pens/injecting etc, but if anyone has experience of exanatide and any handy hints and tips on getting the best out of it I would appreciate it.

Cheers all
Malc

(If not, then once I have it all sussed, I will post some for others!)

Hi,

Ive not heard of that drug but there are a lot of people on here who probably know something about so good luck! Just wanted to say hi!

It's also called Byetta, if you search for that then you might come up with some of the previous discussions.

The main problem people seem to have with it is nausea when they first start on it. A colleague of mine said that it wore off after the first week and she has done really well on it, lost alot of weight.

Be good to know your expereinces of it.

Hi I am a T2 who has just been prescribed exanatide (as I have not been as good a diabetic as some on the forums) as the next phase in my BS control.

I have no issues with the pens/injecting etc, but if anyone has experience of exanatide and any handy hints and tips on getting the best out of it I would appreciate it.

Cheers all
Malc

(If not, then once I have it all sussed, I will post some for others!)

Dear BigMalc,

Welcome to the forum, I was diagnosed in Jan 1994 and am still diet controlled so I don't have any experience with this drug - here's the result of a "Google":

http://www.diabetesuffolk.com/Drugs/Exenatide.htm#_Toc180548703

I'm a controlled carber, have you ever considered this approach? - see my signature

Regards Dodger

Exenatide or Byetta, is usually taken as a twice daily injection (into the skin in the stomach area, like insulin). It's best to do it after meals to avoid the nausea. You start (at least in my trust) on a 5 microgram dose and step up to 10 micrograms after a month, just in case you can't tollerate the side effects. It's normally taken in addition to any oral meds you're taking (metformin, gliclazide etc) and it's supposed to help the beta cells in your pancreas work better (i think, so that they produce more insulin? Anybody know? My textbooks are too old, it's a fairly new drug). It's also supposed to promote weight loss. It comes in a pre-filled pen with 60 doses in it, and is stored in a fridge. Like others have said, side effects tend to include nausea, vomiting and diahorrea, but you won't nessasarily get those. I haven't taken it myself, Metformin's working out nicely for me at the moment, but i think that a fair number of our patients (i work in a hospital BTW) do go on beyond the two month "testing" period (after two months our patients get theirs from their GP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back